Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sendmail on Solaris: Moving /var/mail Post 302074294 by xnightcrawl on Monday 22nd of May 2006 01:04:34 PM
Old 05-22-2006
Sendmail on Solaris: Moving /var/mail

Hello Sendmail Experts,

I have sendmail 8.13 running on a Solaris 5.9 box and everything is running great. However, I did not assign enough disk space for /var. As a result, user mailboxes (/var/mail) might give me disk problems in the future. I would like to move /var/mail to another slice, maybe /export/home (local). Can anyone please advise on how I can accomplish this?

I know I can create a symbolic link within /var, but I would prefer another solution. I tried to google a solution for this problem, but I came up empty. It seems like everyone is satisfied with putting their user mailboxes in /var/mail.

Thank you in advance Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

READING mail from /var/mail/user

Hello guys, I'm in desperate need. I need to write a script that behaves like a "mail" shell program. I've a base of the program -menu and so on, but what I cannot do is how to read messages from /var/mail/user. I would like to separate them as "mail" program does, but I;m just a newbie and... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: petoSVK
21 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I zero var/spool/mail/mail

The mail file in the directory var/spool/mail is very large. Can I zero this (>) without losing any unopened mails there may be? There are about 10 mail accounts. Using RedHat Linux. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
0 Replies

3. Solaris

how to forward mail in /var/mail/username to external mail

Dear All, Now I use solaris 10 and I try to forward mail from /var/mail/username to their external mail so what should I do? thank u in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I read mail in /var/spool/mail?

How can I read mail sent to /var/spool/mail? I do not have pine installed so forget about that...is there some generic utility I can use? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

5. BSD

Moving /var partition to USB stick

I am currently running DesktopBSD as a live-CD and need to have a large /var partition because it is currently too small. I have a USB stick which is BSD formatted, and would like to have the /var partition moved over to it. How can this be done? Could I for instance use a symlink? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figaro
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail /VAR/SPOOL/MAIL

Hi, First Question: In our company our users have their mailboxes in /var/spool/mail When I look at the users file it seems as if every email sent/received is in that user file! Is this because IMAP is being used or is that just how sendmail works? Second Question: How is that when I create... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/spool/mail

Hi, How can i get my mail on either /var/spool/mail or /var/mail? I use mail and sendmail command to send mail. But everytime I send mail it comes to my outlook inbox and when I check with mail command I get the message "No mail for siba". (Note siba is my user Id.) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parse /var/mail

Hi all... We have a box that receives a lot of incoming emails. I have a .procmailrc file that in turn invokes a python script, which process each of these incoming email. All is nice and good. However, before the .procmailrc and python script were in place, we still were receiving emails and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khader69
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

importance of /var/mail

Hi When an entry will be made to the file /var/mail/<user-id> . I have 100 scripts under a specific user id(dgircc) in cron .SO inrder to check the whether the script has sucessfully run or not and if not to generate an email if i mention the code like #!/bin/ksh -p 2 fsize=`ls -lrt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskalyani
0 Replies

10. Proxy Server

How to send mail (sendmail) for php mail()?

PHP mail() function doesn't work. Nor does sendmail: loaded system configuration file /etc/msmtprc ignoring user configuration file /home/xi/.msmtprc: No such file or directory falling back to default account using account default from /etc/msmtprc host = xsi port = 25 proxy host = (not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies
forward(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							forward(4)

NAME
forward - forward mail SYNOPSIS
/var/adm/forward/username $HOME/.forward DESCRIPTION
The .forward file allows a user to forward messages to another host, or to invoke programs (such as vacation(1)) to process their mail. It is formatted as a series of comma-separated addresses in the form: addr_1, addr_2, ... Alternatively, each address can be on a separate line. The newer sendmail.v8 program also allows the use of comments (lines that begin with a ``#'') and blank lines. As with the aliases(4) file, mail messages can be forwarded to another host or given to programs for further processing. The following is an example of the vacation program. Assuming that the user's name is myra, create a .forward file and add the following line: myra, "|/usr/bin/vacation myra" The previous example forwards mail to myra (the backslash prevents an accidental aliasing loop), and also sends a copy of the message to the vacation program. For security reasons, the file must be owned by the user or by root and it should be writable only by the file owner. In addition, the file must be readable by the owner (myra) or root. On traditional systems, only the $HOME/.forward file is checked. The sendmail.v8 program allows the use of the system-wide forwarding directory /var/adm/forward. By default, this directory is checked for a forward file prior to examining the users $HOME directory. FILES
System-wide forwarding file. The per-user forwarding file. RESTRICTIONS
The sendmail command can hang trying to read the user's $HOME/.forward file. If the user's home directory is NFS-mounted and temporarily unavailable, sendmail will stall until the directory becomes available again. The use of non-NFS mounted directories for the forwarding of files is recommended. The use of /var/adm/forward is supported only by sendmail.v8. The actual path for /var/adm/forward is configurable in the sendmail.cf file. Incorrect file permissions/ownership are quietly ignored. It is easy to create an accidental loop, for example, on host_a myra@host_b and on host_b myra@host_a RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: aliases(4), sendmail.cf(4), sendmail(8) delim off forward(4)