Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to cat file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to cat file Post 302074289 by hegemaro on Monday 22nd of May 2006 12:33:35 PM
Old 05-22-2006
grep "/bin/bash" filename | grep -v "load"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file problem

Hi, I wnat to read a fiel line by line and store each line in a variabel, so I made a for loop: for i in `cat file` ; do #do sth. done; The problem is, that in the file, there are lines with only asterisks like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easiest way to cat out first 100 lines of a file into a different file?

Not sure how to do this exactly.. just want to take the first 100 lines of a file and cat it out into a second file. I know I can do a more on a file and > it into a different file, but how can I make it so only the first 100 lines get moved over? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat a file on webpage

Hi, Is there a way to cat a file on Webpage? . Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rider29
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat file

how to cat a file by ignoring first line and last line (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl and file and cat

Hi All i need a little script that can open a file , read it and then spit out some information from it from the shell i would do cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep pixel | sed 's/: 330.*//' | how can i do this nicley in perl thanks Adam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

for i in `cat file` do

in bash: for i in `cat file` ; do echo $i done; how will i do this in perl ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh cat file output into a file on local computer

Hello, I'm on a remote computer by SSH. How can I get the output of "cat file" into a file on the local computer? I cannot use scp, because it's blocked. something like: ssh root@remote_maschine "cat /file" > /locale_machine/file :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)