Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting combining unix commands and awk program Post 302074114 by jim mcnamara on Friday 19th of May 2006 07:37:08 PM
Old 05-19-2006
See:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/man...direction.html

This also applies to other awks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining sed commands

I would like to change the lines: originalline1 originalline2 to: originalline1new originalline1newline originalline2new originalline2newline To do this, id like to combine the commands: sed 's/^/&new/g' file > newfile1 and sed '/^/ a\\ newline\\ \\ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave724001
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use UNIX commands in C program

Hai friend, I am new to linux..i had gone through most of the commands used in unix but i dont know how to use this commands in my C program..U know about this plz send the example program(C prog with unix command)... Thank... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar.lsr
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining commands

Hello all, I am trying to list and count all the files of a particular type in any given directory. I can use the commands separately but when I combine them they do not give an output. The command for counting the files is ls -1 | wc -l and for listing all the file of particular type say... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Combining two commands.

Is there anyway to achieve "find /home -name "*.bashrc" 2>/dev/null" and "PS1="\n>"" in the same command? I just wanna add a line to the previous command to change the PS1 variable to ">". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining many lines to one using awk or any unix cmd

Combining many lines to one using awk or any unix cmd Inputfile: Output : Appreciate help on this. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple commands

Hi Guys, I am looking to optimze these 5 SSH lines to a single SSH to get my machine to not hang! lol! cat hosts.lst | xargs -n1 -t -i echo 'home/util/timeout 6 0 ssh -q {} top -b > util/{}.top &' >> r_query_info cat hosts.lst | xargs -n1 -t -i echo 'home/util/timeout 6 0 ssh -q {} uname -r... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wick3dsunny
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combining awk commands?

I can achieve two tasks with 2 different awk commands: 1) awk -F";;WORD" '{print $2}' file | sed '/^$/d' #to find surface_word 2) awk -F"bw:|gloss:" '// {print $2}' file | sed '/\//!d; s:/*+*: + :g; s:^+::; s: *+ *$::;' #to find segmentation of surface_word Number 1) finds surface_word... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk script combining mutiple commands

Hi, I am pretty new to the unix community and have encountered a problem that I am trying to solve. I have 2 files one of which is called passwd file that looks like the following Sample Output daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh bin:x:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh sys:x:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raven905
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining 2 commands

Hello all, I need to send an attachment and text in the body, both in the same Email. Below are two cammand that send the required data in separate Emails. I need to combine them so that I get just 1 Email containing the attachment & text in the body. uuencode ${filename} "${file_}" |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending output of program into subsequent commands (i.e. awk/sort)

Hi, I have identified how to use command chaining as per below on a file, to capture the header of a file, as well as the line containing the C: drive. $ cat test.txt Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on rootfs 237G 153G 84G 65% / none 237G 153G 84G ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
6 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)