Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with Lost Root Password
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help with Lost Root Password Post 302073904 by System Shock on Thursday 18th of May 2006 01:26:35 PM
Old 05-18-2006
The only thing I can add, because it's happened to me a couple of times, is that the CD drive itself may be defective. I've encountered this situation with many a Sun workstation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root Password Lost !!!

I've forgotten root password on one of Solaris machines, i searched in forumes to find a similar case but there's no proceudre here to reinintialize root password, cause most of related commands & even single user mode needs root password that i don't have. Any solution would be helpful. --rgrds,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I lost my password root

Hello ... I lost my password root ! maybe someone can to help me to log in HP_UX, i started the server in " Singel - User" and i changed my password to new password and it`s not working .. what i must to do ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanly
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lost Root Password

I have recently become the sys adm guy for our unix systems here for my shop. I have a pretty good understanding of the system, but there is just some stuff that I don't know. Right now one of those things is to recover the password for a unix system. I know that there is a way that you can use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GlockCW
2 Replies

4. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Lost root password / Can't login as root

We have quite a few threads about this subject. I have collected some of them and arranged them by the OS which is primarily discussed in the thread. That is because the exact procedure depends on the OS involved. What's more, since you often need to interact with the boot process, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

5. Linux

how to access root priveliges if root password is lost

wish to know how to access root password it root password is forgotten in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root Password Lost

I'm attempting to blank out the root user password on a machine that we have forgotten the password for. I have been using the advice posted on this site to boot from CDROM in single user mode, then mounting the root slice and editing the /etc/shadow file. Each time I save the shadow file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
1 Replies

7. AIX

lost root password in AIX

Hi how do you reset the root password in AIX. I booted to single user mode and it asked for login and password. I have AIX 4.3. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Welfaric
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lost root password unixware 7.1.4

Ive lost the root password , i dont have the cds , what can i do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sopapa
3 Replies

9. SCO

unixware 7.1.4 lost root password

I dont have the cds, what can i do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sopapa
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Lost Root Password on VXVM Encapsulated Root Disk

Hi All Hope it's okay to post on this sub-forum, couldn't find a better place I've got a 480R running solaris 8 with veritas volume manager managing all filesystems, including an encapsulated root disk (I believe the root disk is encapsulated as one of the root mirror disks has an entry under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyd76
1 Replies
addbadsec(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     addbadsec(1M)

NAME
addbadsec - map out defective disk blocks SYNOPSIS
addbadsec [-p] [ -a blkno [blkno...]] [-f filename] raw_device DESCRIPTION
addbadsec is used by the system administrator to map out bad disk blocks. Normally, these blocks are identified during surface analysis, but occasionally the disk subsystem reports unrecoverable data errors indicating a bad block. A block number reported in this way can be fed directly into addbadsec, and the block will be remapped. addbadsec will first attempt hardware remapping. This is supported on SCSI drives and takes place at the disk hardware level. If the target is an IDE drive, then software remapping is used. In order for software remapping to succeed, the partition must contain an alternate slice and there must be room in this slice to perform the mapping. It should be understood that bad blocks lead to data loss. Remapping a defective block does not repair a damaged file. If a bad block occurs to a disk-resident file system structure such as a superblock, the entire slice might have to be recovered from a backup. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. If more than one block number is specified, the entire list should be quoted and block numbers should be separated by white space. -f Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. The bad blocks are listed, one per line, in the specified file. -p Causes addbadsec to print the current software map. The output shows the defective block and the assigned alternate. This option cannot be used to print the hardware map. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?p0. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
disks(1M), diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the addbadsec, diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS "format" utility; however, to label, analyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 addbadsec(1M)