Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Capturing a ret val of C obj file in ksh script Post 302073585 by k_bijitesh on Tuesday 16th of May 2006 04:23:56 AM
Old 05-16-2006
Capturing a ret val of C obj file in ksh script

Hi,

I have one shell script which is calling a C executable. That C executable returns a value depending upon operations inside the C code. But how to get that value in the calling shell script?

The syntax of calling the C executable is like --
C_exec <argc no> <argument1> <argument2> etc ...

When I am doing
return_value=C_exec <argc no> <argument1> <argument2> etc ...

The runtime error is shown as --
<argc no>: not found

Pls help.

Bijitesh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ret val of a command in a pipe which is NOT the last one

hello dear UNIX gurus ;-) my problem is one of those i would think that many others should also have had it in the past. but i cannot find any thread or other documentation about it. inside a ksh script i have a pipe like this: ksh -c "export LIBPATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH; ${Cmd} ${Param} 2>&1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: latze
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help capturing pipe to a file in shell script

The command: echo "this is some text" | shellscript abc def ghi My problem: How to capture "this is some text" so that I can process it, I.e. capture to a file. What I'm attemting to do is process the text echo'd into a file after writing the parameters passed first. No problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: heinz
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing line from script output and appending to a file

Hi all, I did some searching in this forum but can't find anything that matches the issue I'm bumping heads with. On a CentOS4/Postfix (and bash everywhere) mail gateway box I run a command periodically to purge the Postfix queue of messages "From:MAILER-DAEMON". This is the one line'r... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wally_welder
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make command failed for target 'obj/gp_unix.o'

hi, i am trying to run make command in solaris 9. its giving the error: make:Fatal error:Command failed for target 'obj/gp_unix.o' i came to know X11 should be inastalled for gp_unix.o.But it is already installed.still the same error. ./configure worked fine. can anybody please suggest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosalina
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing stderr in ksh script within a script

I have seen lots of entries on stderr and stdout, but I did not see a solution to my question. In running a script, I call another script. I want to capture output and error messages from the called script. I am able to redirect the stdout from the called script to my output file, but I don't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timtoben
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of "@ ret =" in sh script

I've been thrown into debugging a sh script and have run into an unfamiliar bit of code. In part the code is: set ret = 1 set roop = 0 while( $ret == 1 ) @ ret = `rcp chPhase.dat.default "$remoteUser@$ENGINE_HOST\:/gp/tune/chPhase.dat"$remoteUser@$ENGINE_HOST\:/gp/tune/chPhase.dat`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stmpjmp
3 Replies

8. Solaris

SunONE (webserver7) obj.conf

Hello all, I'm configuring the webserver and I need to add some parameters to be logged, so I don't know if I'm doing it right, please advice. Here's my obj.conf: # # Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. # Use is subject to license terms. # # You can edit this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TorvusBog
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture a database val and use in script

Hello, sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find what I was looking for. I know how to connect to Oracle and execute stored procedures from a shell script, but what I would like to do is return a value from a table and use it in my script. For Example, If I had a table Called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mode09
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping ret of the lines in a file (sed question)

Hi all, I didn't use SED for 20 years and was never an expert. So my current knowledge is about zero. Please be patient with me. I'm neither a native speaker. I have a huge dictionary file and want the rest of the lines stripped. Everything after (and including) the "/" should be stripped. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hinnerk2005
2 Replies
GZEXE(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)