Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bare message script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bare message script Post 302072815 by zazzybob on Monday 8th of May 2006 01:13:42 AM
Old 05-08-2006
echo "boo" > /dev/pts/1

Replace /dev/pts/1 with the users terminal device. Of course, if they've used "mesg n" you may note be able to write to this file.

Cheers
ZB

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

O S for new bare PC

I have a new motherboard & HD etc that have working bios etc but won't accept my W98 upgrade as the O S, I need to know if I can get the Unix OS to work with it, instead of using Windows? I understand that the Unix OS works very well but will it install easily?? Al (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alrichards
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing filesnames in bare format with fullpath

Hi, Need help. How can I get a listing of files in bare format with full path. I mean in the following format. /root/dir1/sub-dir1/file1 /root/dir1/sub-dir1/file2 /root/dir1/sub-dir2/file1 /root/dir1/sub-dir2/file2 /root/dir2/sub-dir1/file1 /root/dir2/sub-dir2/file1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

bare metal backup for HP-UX 11i v3?

How can i make a dvd image ( bare metal backup ) for HP-UX 11i v3 installation on integrity servers , for quick recovery for the os and installed software in case of disaster (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

5. Debian

bare bones Debian install

I have read into some of the complexity in the docs in Debian on the install procedure. Is there any guiding light on what is required for a bare bones install. I have read in maybe the wikipedia that the einstein behind Debian has put in place every thing imaginable for any particular Machine.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowLips
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Is here anyone hands on in Linux Bare Metal Restore..??

Hi all, I am working on Linux Bare Metal Restore in which i have few things to be discussed with a person who has his/her hands on in that process. If anyone kindly give a reply post in this thread.. :) :) Thanks Selva (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode

I am doing FTP from a server and getting below ERROR:WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode File may not have transferred correctly. I looked into web and found that I may need to change the mode to binary, but when I do so the records are not in readable format...So need the file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshilalit2004
10 Replies

8. SCO

Virtualization a bare metal SCO Open Server 6?

Hello, We have a SCO Open Server 6 running on bare metal hardware, this is used for a legacy application that we continue to need. I would like to migrate/virtualize the SCO server into VMware so that I can do VM level backups, etc. I did test to make sure SCO 6.0 can run in VMware/ESXi... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
11 Replies
WRITE(1)                                                    BSD General Commands Manual                                                   WRITE(1)

NAME
write -- send a message to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [tty] DESCRIPTION
The write utility allows you to communicate with other users, by copying lines from your terminal to theirs. When you run the write command, the user you are writing to gets a message of the form: Message from yourname@yourhost on yourtty at hh:mm ... Any further lines you enter will be copied to the specified user's terminal. If the other user wants to reply, they must run write as well. When you are done, type an end-of-file or interrupt character. The other user will see the message 'EOF' indicating that the conversation is over. You can prevent people (other than the super-user) from writing to you with the mesg(1) command. If the user you want to write to is logged in on more than one terminal, you can specify which terminal to write to by specifying the termi- nal name as the second operand to the write command. Alternatively, you can let write select one of the terminals - it will pick the one with the shortest idle time. This is so that if the user is logged in at work and also dialed up from home, the message will go to the right place. The traditional protocol for writing to someone is that the string '-o', either at the end of a line or on a line by itself, means that it is the other person's turn to talk. The string 'oo' means that the person believes the conversation to be over. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), wall(1), who(1) HISTORY
A write command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The sender's LC_CTYPE setting is used to determine which characters are safe to write to a terminal, not the receiver's (which write has no way of knowing). BSD February 13, 2012 BSD