Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: looping for each file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting looping for each file Post 302072803 by mab_arif16 on Sunday 7th of May 2006 06:59:53 PM
Old 05-07-2006
looping for each file

HI
I want to execute the awk command for each file which is of form *.event
I am trying the following code but it is not working ,
#! /bin/csh
set h= *.event
foreach h(*)
set v= `awk -F, 'NR==2 {print $1}' $h`
echo $v
end
But I am getting an error
Can somebody correct me
Thanks arif

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Help with looping a file and grepping a string

I have 2 files: fileA and fileB. content of fileA --------------- admin.teacher is in new york; admin.mason is in new york; admin.driver is in new york city; user.trucker is in hartford; admin.developer is in new york state; content of fileB ---------------- admin.teacher is in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowprofile
8 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

File Looping - Looking for executable files - Need help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Hello all, I have posted here before and really was blown away by the amount of assistance I received. I was able to finish my homework without a problem! But, yet again, our... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bob07
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through only blank lines of a file.

I am sorry if I am posting in wrong thread. Experts, I have 2 files File 1 File 2 line1 line1 | line2 line2 | group 1 line3 line3 | line1 line1 | line2 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suraj.sheikh
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading file,looping and limitation

I have 2 functions on AIX. Func_A () { .... .... } Func_B () { .... .... } And I have a abc.txt file (multiple lines) and I would like to read line by line and pass line by line to Func_A & Func_B. once Func_A is done,pass same value to Func_B and in the mean time get second line from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jang
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping within the elements of a file using awk

Hi all, I have a file containing 5000 rows and 4 columns. I need to do a loop within the rows based on the values of column 3. my sample data is formatted like the ones below: what i need to do is to make a loop that will allow me to plot the values of x,y,values corresponding to month 1 to month... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping over a file to count common fields from another file

Hi, I would like to know how can I get the number of rows in file1 that: - the 1st and 2nd field should be the same (text) - the 3rd field should be less or equal (numeric) when comparing to file2. So for each row of file1, I would like to have the number of rows in file2 that follow the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fadista
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders My files are located in UNIX Server, i want to extract file_id and file_name from each file .and save it in a CSV file. How do I do that? I have folders in unix environment, directory structure is... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: princetd001
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping inside directories based on a file which contains file directory list

Hi All, Please help. I have got a file which contains a listing of a file and some directories after it, one by one. I am calling this file xyz.txt here file1 dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4 file2 dir5 dir6 dir7 dir8 file3 dir9 dir10 dir11 dir12 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Piyush Jakra
6 Replies

9. Programming

Looping and caling in a text file C++

Hi , I am trying to create a loop to call in the entries from the text file named Set. The entries of Set.txtare : 1 2 3 2 4 5 and so on .. (64 such combinations) it basically means the first combination for testing is 1 2 3 and next has to be 2 4 5 and so i have 64 such entries defined... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siya@
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with looping through file contents

Hi, I have a several files with ".out" extension in a folder and each file has the below like contents .... appname: wonder1 ..... logname78.log logname88.log ..... CAP: 2 ..... appname: wonder54 ...... logname28.log logname58.log logname54.log ..... CAP: 3 ..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. If the sleep command receives a signal, it takes the standard action. When the SIGINFO signal is received, the estimate of the amount of seconds left to sleep is printed on the standard output. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The SIGALRM signal is not handled specially by this implementation. The sleep command allows and honors a non-integer number of seconds to sleep in any form acceptable by strtod(3). This is a non-portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for x number seconds later (with csh(1)): (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait a half hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with the csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (`ls *.rawdata`) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A sleep command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD