Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fc cables
Special Forums IP Networking fc cables Post 302072727 by Perderabo on Friday 5th of May 2006 02:33:36 PM
Old 05-05-2006
Despite the name, fibre channel works on copper. From: http://www.attotech.com/fcq.html...

Quote:
Q: What are the rules for cabling Fibre Channel devices?
A: There are two types of cable medium that can be used with Fibre Channel; Copper or Fibre Optic. Copper cables can use either DB9 or HSSDC connectors and are good for distances up to 25 meters. An active cable is required for cable distances greater than 15 meters. Optical cables use SC or duplex SC connectors. There are two different types of optical cables allowed; multi mode and single mode. Multi mode should only be used with short wave laser transceivers while single mode cables are meant to be used with long wave laser devices. The fibers in multi mode cable come in either a 62.5 micron thickness, which is good for distances up to 175 meters, or a 50 micron thickness, good for 500 meters. Long wave lasers/single mode cables are good for distances up to 10 km.
A better name than "fibre channel" would have been nice. It isn't really a channel either. We really got bit by this one. We sent some systems that use FC over fibre to a computer room expecting FC over copper. (Interesting that the OP choose the IP forum for this question!)

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Scsi cables - which ones?

Is there any specific scsi cables that you need to get when connecting a tape drive or external storage or does one type of cable fit all? ie. I can buy the following: HD68 to HD68 with Ferrites supports S-E Ultra/Wide transfer rates. But will this work for tape drives and storage? I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Solaris

1 or 2 Fiber cables?

Hi Community, I'm working on Solaris 10 installation with 1 Server V490 and 1 StoredgeTek 3510 (Standalone configuration). I'd connect the Server to the Storedge with a fiber cable but I' m in doubt becouse I don't know if using 1 or 2 fiber cable. Could you provide me any solution? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
2 Replies

3. Solaris

SUNFIRE V240 procedure to shutdown with safety in order to replace power cables

Question: Which commands to use to shutdown with safety the server; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doudou2012
2 Replies

4. Hardware

Flat cables vs normal circular cables

Do flat cables have any advantage over normal circular cables? I was looking at this. 6ft 2M Flat USB Sync Data Cable Charger Cord for iPhone4 4S 3G iPad1 2 3 Orange | eBay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

5. War Stories

Following Cables for Fun!

Hi Folks, I came accross this picture taken a number of years ago now, I just thought I'd share it with you guys. We were in the process of removing equipment from the Data Centre and had followed the cable through to this area, where one of the old patch areas had been. When we lifted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

What RJ11 Cables Should I Use?

Hello All, I have a project I'm working on which involves a linux PC and a USB (*dialup) Modem in a remote location for telnet'ing to that PC by phone when the Ethernet connection is down. I have already purchased the USB modems I need and some dumb phones for line testing... Now I'm trying... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
VDE_PLUG(1)						      General Commands Manual						       VDE_PLUG(1)

NAME
vde_plug - Virtual Distributed Ethernet plug (two plugs creates a vde cable) SYNOPSIS
vde_plug [ -p portnum ] [ -g group ] [ -m octal-mode ] [ socketdir ] DESCRIPTION
A vde_plug is a plug to be connected into a VDE switch. All the data that is catched by the plug is written in its stdout and everything from stdin is injected in the switch. This tool has been designed to be used together with dpipe (1) to interconnect a second vde_plug to another switch, working as a virtual ethernet crossed cable between the two switches. The command dpipe vde_plug = vde_plug /tmp/vde2.ctl connects two local switches: the former is using the standard control socket /tmp/vde.ctl while the latter is using /tmp/vde2.ctl. The command dpipe vde_plug = ssh remote.machine.org vde_plug connects two remote switches. If the two vde_switches run as daemon and they are connected to tap interfaces a level 2 encrypted tunnel is established. vde_plug can also be established as a login shell for users. The following command works as in the previous example dpipe vde_plug = ssh vdeuser@remote.machine.org vde_plug where vdeuser is the user with vde_plug as standard shell. All the remote accesses are logged by syslog at the beginning and at the end of each session. Attempt to login without the command vde_plug at the end or trying to execute something else are blocked and the attempt is logged into syslog. OPTIONS
-p portnum It is possible to decide which port of the switch to use. When this option is not specified the switch assigns the first available unused port (if any). It is possible to connect several cables in the same switch port: in this way all this cables work concur- rently. It means that packet can result as duplicate but no ARP table loops are generated. Is useful when vde is used for mobil- ity. Several physical interfaces can be used at a time during handoffs to prevent hichups in connectivity. -g group group ownership of the communication socket. For security when more want to share a switch it is better to use a unix group to own the comm sockets so that the network traffic cannot be sniffed. -m octal-mode octal chmod like permissions for the comm sockets socketdir (This option can be also set as: -sock socketdir ) specify the directory which contains the UNIX socket to be used by local programs for joining the VDE. The default value is "/tmp/vde.ctl", which corresponds to the socket "/tmp/vde.ctl/ctl" (or /var/run/vde.ctl when the vde_switch runs as a shared daemon). It is possible for users to redefine their default switch as ".vde-2/stdsock" in their home directory. If exist, this directory (or symbolic link to the actual directory) is used as the default value for the user. NOTICE
Virtual Distributed Ethernet is not related in any way with www.vde.com ("Verband der Elektrotechnik, Elektronik und Informationstechnik" i.e. the German "Association for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technologies"). SEE ALSO
vde_switch(1), vde_plug2tap(1), vdeq(1), dpipe(1). AUTHOR
VDE is a project by Renzo Davoli <renzo@cs.unibo.it> Virtual Distributed Ethernet December 6, 2006 VDE_PLUG(1)