Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Script to Extract the line from File with specified offset Post 302072569 by shriashishpatil on Thursday 4th of May 2006 05:50:17 AM
Old 05-04-2006
I remember to use awk to separate lines between pair of words.
Try man awk for this. I found this in man awk.

Quote:
Print all lines between start/stop pairs:

/start/, /stop/
see if this helps you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a file from a specified offset

Hi, I want to read a file from a specified offset from the start of file. With the read command, is it possible to do so. Please suggest. Is there any other alternative? Thanks, Saurabh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhsinha23
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a line from a file using the line number

I have a shell script and want to assign a value to a variable. The value is the line exctrated from a file using the line number. The line number it is not fix, and could change any time. I have tried sed, awk, head .. See my script # Get randome line number from the file #selectedline = `awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zambo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file using the line number

Hello, I am having trouble extracting a specific line from a file when the line number is known. My first attempt involved grep -n 'hi' (the word 'hi will always be there) to get the line number before the line that I actually want (line 4). Extra Notes: -I am working in a bash script. -The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandtheftander
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to extract line from logfile

Hi , Can someone help me,I am not well versed with scripting,it is very urjent. Need a script in perl or shell for the following task. The logfile contains several entries of which one particular string to be searched and that complete line has to be removed and copied to another file to... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: garryt21@rediff
25 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file by line number

Hi guys, does anyone know how to extract(grep) a line from the file, if I know the line number? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP: Shell Script to read a Log file line by line and extract Info based on KEYWORDS matching

I have a LOG file which looks like this Import started at: Mon Jul 23 02:13:01 EDT 2012 Initialization completed in 2.146 seconds. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Import summary for Import item: PolicyInformation... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: biztank
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep --byte-offset not returning the offset (Grep version 2.5.1)

Hi, I am trying to get the position of a repeated string in a line using grep -b -o "pattern" In my server I am using GNU grep version 2.14 and the code is working fine. However when I am deploying the same code in a different server which is using GNU grep version 2.5.1 the code is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subhamoy
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File name offset

Dear all, I want to offset the file numbers. can you please make some awk code or linux code for the same. Example: input file names ANI_WFMASS_PIST00001.gif ANI_WFMASS_PIST00002.gif . . . ANI_WFMASS_PIST0000n.gif offset --> 30 ANI_WFMASS_PIST00031.gif ANI_WFMASS_PIST00032.gif... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kri321shna
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to extract information from a file line by line

In the below perl code I am using tags within each line to extract certain information. The tags that are used are: STB >0.8 is STRAND BIAS otherwise GOOD FDP is the second number GO towards the end of the line is read into an array and the value returned is outputed, in the first line that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
intltool-extract(1)						   User Commands					       intltool-extract(1)

NAME
intltool-extract - generate header file from XML source file SYNOPSIS
intltool-extract [--ini-style] [--help] [--verbose] [--version] [--xml-style] [--scheme-style] source-file DESCRIPTION
intltool-extract generates header files from the strings in the specified input files which gettext can use to merge strings into the .pot file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --help Show usage and basic help information. You can also use -H to specify this option. --ini-style Specifies that the source file is of type gettext/ini. --scheme-style Specifies that the source file is of type gettext/scheme. You can also use -O to specify this option. --verbose Provide additional feedback. You can also use -X to specify this option. --version Show version information. You can also use -V to specify this option. --xml-style Specifies that the source file is of type gettext/xml. You can also use -O to specify this option. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: source-file Specifies the pathname of the XML file from which to extract translatable content. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generating a Header File for a Schemas File, With Verbose Output example% intltool-extract -O --scheme-style foo.schemas.in EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/intltool-extracThe command-line executable for the application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-common-devel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intltool-merge(1), intltool-prepare(1), intltool-unicodify(1), intltool-update(1), intltoolize(1) NOTES
For more information, see the I18N-HOWTO file, which is provided with the intltool source code. Updated by Damien Donlon, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. Written by Darin Adler, Kenneth Christiansen, Maciej Stachowiak. SunOS 5.10 3 Apr 2003 intltool-extract(1)