Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting checking for permissions of a file Post 302072465 by sendhilmani123 on Wednesday 3rd of May 2006 08:24:06 AM
Old 05-03-2006
checking for permissions of a file

Hi,
I have a script called check.sh. I have to pass a file as input to this script. How can I validat whether the file has read permissions or not within the script.

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking file's permissions and change them

Hi all, I am very new to UNIX and Shell scripting, I need to run a script to check for file's and directoires permissions and change the permissions if necessary. I appreciate your help.. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: K-ONE
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking and chaning directory permissions automatically

Hi all, My first post here. I need a small script to check the directory permssions on my /home/uploads and if there are any newly created directory in uploads chmod them to 1777. The upload directory is for my users who upload their pictures and I by default their directories are given... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apachi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking permissions security

Can you help me to find a way to check that the level of the permissions givven to Others is not higher then the permission given to Group that is not higer from Owner permissions ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain file permissions when saving .sh file from internet [OS X]

Hello. I have written a bash script that I am sharing with an OS X community I am a member of. The purpose of the script is to execute a series of commands for members without them having to get involved with Terminal, as it can be daunting for those with no experience of it at all. I have renamed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baza210
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking Permissions of file for OTHERS and GROUP

Hi, Is their a way to check the read and execute permission on a file on OTHERS and GROUP rwxr--r-x I am trying something like: if ( || ) then .... fi The code above only checks the permissions of the owner of the file but not for the GROUP and OTHERS. I will really... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script check for file, alert if not there, and continue checking until file arrives

All, Is there a way to keep checking for a file over and over again in the same script for an interval of time? Ie If { mail -user continue checking until file arrives file arrives tasks exit I don't want the script to run each time and email the user each time a file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking directory permissions on UNIX directory

Hi, How do i check if I have read/write/execute rights on a UNIX directory? What I'm doing is checking read access on the files but i also want to check if user has rights on the direcory in whcih these files are present. if then...... And I check if the directory exists by using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies