Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems with Perl/KSH Web Log Script Post 302072449 by mmanders on Wednesday 3rd of May 2006 04:48:03 AM
Old 05-03-2006
Problems with Perl/KSH Web Log Script

Hi,

I am writing a series of scripts for work to analyse intranet access logs. All of the scripts do as they should when run individually from the shell, but only when run from certain directories. This sounds like it may be a PATH issue but I am not sure. When I run a certain script, say "script.pl" from it's working directory - everything is fine. However, if I try to run the script from another location by specifying the full path name of the script, the script tries to execute and drops straight back to the shell without any output to the user. I do receive output if run from the working directory of the script.

The script is a Perl script, and I have the appropriate shebang line at the start of the file "#!/bin/perl". Also, the file has been CHMODed to execute.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Max

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

having ksh script problems

well i have written a script to telnet and ftp to all my servers, the script runs great, BUT i can not for the life of me figure out how to get the script to repeat if the conditions are not filled. this is what i have so far ######################################### TorF(){ echo T... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerzey4life
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Web Server - uploading Frontpage web - will there be problems??

hiya All, New to this Web site stuff. Will be installing Fedora's latest O/S (including Apache) - onto a spare PC Then... Gulp... setting up a Web server. Designing a Web site using WINDOWS FRONT PAGE 2002: * Simply easiest/quickiest way to knock up a basic site. * There won't be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: marty 600
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems in running a Perl script via cronjob

I have a very basic perl script that attempts to find if a process is running. If the process is not running then the script is supposed to start the process. If I execute the script from command line it works fine as expected. However if the script is executed via cronjob, the script cannot find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ypant
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

autosys/ksh - problems with script

Hi, I'm using autosys and want to set it up that I receive emails when certain jobs start and finish. I don't want to edit each jobs script (ksh) to send a mail at start and finish, I would rather have a single script/job that watches for a trigger when the jobs have started or finished. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weszardoz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Downloading file from web using perl script

Hi experts, I've question in perl, i need to download a text file from the Web and save that content to the server, Is it possible in perl script or i need to do it in the excel. I tried in the excel but the alignment is missing there. Could you please help in find that. Thanks senthilkumar (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to copy contents of a web page

Hi All, Sorry to ask this question and i am not sure whether it is possible. please reply to my question. Thanks in advance. I need a perl script ( or any linux compatible scripts ) to copy the graphical contents of the webpage to a word pad. Say for example, i have a documentation site... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.linux1984
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Print Problems in script

Hi Perl Gurus, perl -e 'print "http://www.site@domain.com"' The output of the above is : http://www.site.com" I want to print http://www.site@domain.com without using escape sequence before '@' like '\@'. Is there any way to do this in perl? Thanks, Som (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script to find & copy words from Web.

I need to write a perl script to search for a specific set of numbers that occur after a series of words but before another. Specifically, I need to locate the phrase today at the summit, then immediately prior to the words tonnes/day copy the number that will be between 100 and 9,999, for example,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to call perl script problems

Ok, don't ask me why, but all calls to perl must be called by a shell script. Its really not ideal, but its what I have to work with. Calling it isnt the issue, its passing in the arguments. I have about 1000 perl scripts to call by a shell script. Right now, I'm executing the shell script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: regexnub
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Web Automation in Perl/Ksh with NO additional modules

I would like to automate form filling in a remote way... i mean in the background. That form consists of 3 pages (need to be traversed by clicking on a "next" button). Form uses JavaScript as well. The scripts I have access to are perl/Unix shells I google'd and found that in perl it can be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
0 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)