Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XML issue
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers XML issue Post 302072400 by anujairaj on Tuesday 2nd of May 2006 12:18:58 PM
Old 05-02-2006
XML issue

Hi have an xml file which is like:
<tag1>
<tag2>

<tag3>data3
</tag3>

<tag4>data4
</tag4>

</tag2>
</tag1>

i need to convert it to the standard xml format
<tag1>
<tag2>
<tag3>data3</tag3>
<tag4>data4</tag4>
</tag2>
</tag1>

coming to the point,i need to remove the new line character only for those fields which have data,
I used the reg nawk to remove new line but it is doing it for all the tags:

nawk '{ if ( $0 !~ /<\// && NR > 1 ) { printf "\n"; } printf $0; } END { printf "\n"; }' file.xml >abc.xml

and i am getting
<tag1>
<tag2>
<tag3>data3</tag3>
<tag4>data4</tag4></tag2></tag1>

I need to remove the new line character for lines having data.
could someone help me out here,
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issue while using xsltproc tp parse XML in bash

I have written a bash script which opens a folder, reads all the *.xml files in it, and pulls the required data that i need from XML tags. I am using xsltproc (my xsl name) (my xml folder location/*.xml) and running this in a for each loop The problem is that some XML files are having special... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivashankar.g
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Line Break Issue for an XML file

I got an XML file(file name TABLE.xml) which the data format has line breaks(with no Spaces, no Nulls, no characters between each line), I need to write a KSH script which gives me the data in single line as format shown below My input file which have line breaks: <TABLE> <TABLE-ROW> <S_NO>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pred55
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add the multiple lines of xml tags before a particular xml tag in a file

Hi All, I'm stuck with adding multiple lines(irrespective of line number) to a file before a particular xml tag. Please help me. <A>testing_Location</A> <value>LA</value> <zone>US</zone> <B>Region</B> <value>Russia</value> <zone>Washington</zone> <C>Country</C>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line Break Issue in XML file

Hi Experts, Kindly help me to resole the line break issue mentioned below sample xml file: sample source File: ============== <?!New XML File><NEWRECORDS xmlns... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UnniVKN
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Command to compare two xml lines while ignoring xml tags

I've got two different files and want to compare them. File 1 : HTML Code: <response ticketId="944" type="getQueryResults"><status>COMPLETE</status><description>Query results fetched successfully</description><recordSet totalCount="1" type="sms_records"><record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add Xml tags to an existing xml using shell or awk?

Hi , I have a below xml: <ns:Body> <ns:result> <Date Month="June" Day="Monday:/> </ns:result> </ns:Body> i have a lookup abc.txtt text file with below details Month June July August Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday I need a output xml with below tags <ns:Body> <ns:result>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nevergivup
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split xml file into multiple xml based on letterID

Hi All, We need to split a large xml into multiple valid xml with same header(2lines) and footer(last line) for N number of letterId. In the example below we have first 2 lines as header and last line as footer.(They need to be in each split xml file) Header: <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single xml file into multiple xml files

Hi, I'm having a xml file with multiple xml header. so i want to split the file into multiple files. Sample.xml consists multiple headers so how can we split these multiple headers into multiple files in unix. eg : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ml:individual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra921631
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue splitting file based on XML tags

more a-d.txt1 <a-dets> <a-serv> <aserv>mymac14,mymac15:MYAPP:mydom:/web/domain/mydom/config <NMGR>:MYAPP:/web/bea_apps/perf/NMGR/NMGR1034 <a-rep-string> 11.12.10.01=192.10.00.26 10.20.18.10=192.10.00.27 </a-rep-string> </a-serv> <w-serv>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping multiple XML tag results from XML file.

I want to write a one line script that outputs the result of multiple xml tags from a XML file. For example I have a XML file which has below XML tags in the file: <EMAIL>***</EMAIL> <CUSTOMER_ID>****</CUSTOMER_ID> <BRANDID>***</BRANDID> Now I want to grep the values of all these specified... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubh752
1 Replies