Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: wc vs ls
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers wc vs ls Post 302072247 by amro1 on Sunday 30th of April 2006 03:30:53 AM
Old 04-30-2006
here's why

Why? here's why:
1. if you use < by mistake with a file that is not ASCII you likely will sit and enjoy all this gibberish on a screen and /a beeps with no option to interrupt it as it is dumped directly to the sdout, pipelined cat gives you option for Ctl-C, to interrupt
2. I often don't know precisely what is a problem as I troubleshoot so I use different keys with a pipeline after cat as it saves typing, I don't have to move somewhere into middle line to edit variables.
3. I found this makes cleaner and more readable line for mere mortals who reside in "UNIX for Dummies" forum, as not everyone is "registered geek"
4. I know what is notion UUOC means but it is just another notion for a style for these people who got nothing to worry about but another notion. So let remove some commands from the systems at all. I personally don't care if I will create one more process. I didn't care about it ten years ago when computers had been some 20 times slower, and I certainly will not care today with 99% idle CPU time.

computer it is a tool to make my life more comfortable, not I exists to save it from extra exercise of spawning extra processes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzybob
The good thing about that is we avoid the Useless Use of cat. Why spawn uneccessary processes?

Cheers
ZB

Last edited by amro1; 05-06-2006 at 04:35 PM..

mkpasswd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       mkpasswd(8)

Name
       mkpasswd - generate hashed password table

Syntax
       /etc/mkpasswd [-uv] passwdfile

Description
       The command is used to generate the hashed password database used by the library routines and

If  the -u option is present the hashed files will not be built unless they already exist.  In any case, the hashed files will not be built
       if the time of last modification of the passwdfile is less recent than that of an existing hashed files.

If the -v option is supplied, each entry will be listed as it is added.

The file passwdfile is usually and must be in the format of The command will generate  database	files  named  passwdfile.pag  and  passwd-
       file.dir.   The command will exit with a non-zero exit code if any errors are detected.	Otherwise it will print the number of entries pro-
       cessed and the length of the longest entry.

The presence of the hashed files is optional. They are not required for correct operation of or but will improve their performance on  sys-
       tems with moderate to large sized files.

Diagnostics
       The data base is already up to date.
       If the specified file has been modified less recently than the hashed files.

Database not created.
       When used with the -u option and the database does not already exist.

Files
       passwdfile.dir Database filename

passwdfile.pag Database filename

See Also
       getpwent(3), passwd(5), vipw(8)

mkpasswd(8)