Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting data from each line Post 302072056 by zazzybob on Wednesday 26th of April 2006 11:49:11 PM
Old 04-27-2006
while read i; do
..your code here..
done < /tmp/aa.txt

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Data From Sendmail

Hello, Like many Unix shops, Our systems send Email alerts whenever things break. I have been tasked with writing a shell script to get the email alerts from Sendmail, extract the Date / Time, From, Subject, and message text from the emails and punch them into a MySQL DB. This will then be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calex
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a line based on line number

i want to cut all the entries from the /etc/passwd file in which the uid is> 500 for this i was writing this ,m quiet new to all this.. scripting but on the 6th n 8th line ,, i hav to specify a line number .. to get the commnd working .. but i want to use variable i instead of that ,,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narendra.pant
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting integer from data

Hi people, I've encountered a problem. I have a data file like: asd:$123:2 zxc:$456:4 But when I want to extract "$123" and get the number with this command: echo $123 | cut -c 1-10 Im returned with 23 instead of 123. Please help me out, thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grotesque
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting data from files..

frnds, I m having prob woth doing some 2-3 task simultaneously... what I want is... I have lots ( lacs ) of files in a dir... I want.. these info from arround 2-3 months files filename convention is - abc20080403sdas.xyz ( for todays files ) I want 1. total no of files for 1 dec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clx
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting Data Using SED

Given the following text in a file named extract.txt: listenPort:=25 smtpDestination:=2 enableSSL:= I am trying to extract only the value 2 following smtpDestination:= Someone had suggested I use: sed -e "s/^smtpDestination:=\(.*\)$/\1/" extract.txt but this returns: listenPort:=25 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting data from a string

Hi there, I have a bunch of vlan tagged network interfaces that are named as follows e1000g111000 e1000g99001 e1000g3456000 nge2002 where the 'e1000g' and 'nge' parts of the name are the driver, the red and blue bits above define the VLAN and the last digit on the end defines the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting data

I have a txt file of the following format >ab_ qwerty >rt_ hfjkil >Ty2 hglashglkasghkf; >P2 aklhfklflkkgfgkfl >ui_ vnllkdskkkffkfkkf >we32 vksksjksj;lslsf'sk's's .... ..... I want to split this big file based on the header (>) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting data from file

I am trying to compare the data in lines 3 & 5 to see if they match up to the '-S570' (see first code set, all proprietary information has been removed from code set) spawn telnet Trying ... Connected to CA-LOS1234-ASE-S570.cl . Escape character is '^]'. CA-LOS1234-ASE-S570 Username: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slipshft
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extracting data within parentheses

This is my input file: a|b|c(ef)|g|h(km)|p My output file should look like: a|b|ef|g|km|p That is, pipe is the delimiter. The data within pipe must be displayed as it is but if it encounters any data within parentheses, then only the data within parentheses has to be displayed ( the data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksatish89
2 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)