Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk problem broken pipe
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk problem broken pipe Post 302071654 by zemanel on Sunday 23rd of April 2006 10:14:46 AM
Old 04-23-2006
awk problem broken pipe

Hello everyone

I got a school project that was due yesterday so i really would aprreciate some help

the following is an example of the input file (bateriaTestes)

1 caeiro 2000 d
2 pessoa 100 w
3 campos 200 b
4 soares 500 w

simple 4 field lines. lines separated by \n and fields by white space

using the following i print the content of the file to screen no prob here
i assume from testing awk it is reading a line at a time from bateriaTestes

awk -F"\n" '{ printf( "Client %s \n", $1) }' bateriaTestes
-->>Outputs exactly each line preceded from Client ok!

awk -F"\n" '{ printf( "Client %s \n", $1) > "outFile" }' bateriaTestes
-->>Dows the same and writes to file outFile ok

after this i use
trying to send a line at a time as Input to java

awk -F"\n" '{ printf( "Client %s \n", $1) | "java" }' bateriaTestes
-->>First problem the shell only prints out java usage as if it hadnīt received any arguments. Question: is java receivingl anythin from the left side of the pipe at all??suposse not!! and why may i ask????

awk -F"\n" '{ printf( "Client %s \n", $1) > "java" }' bateriaTestes
-->>i tried this and nothin happened not even any java output

-->>And a final question
I have several shells simultaneously executing the above command
how would i use a semaphor on a file or pipe so all shells executing the script
could write to that place

HELP ME PLEASE ITS URGENT

many thankx in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe?

Hi there, I try to use: > find * | ls but it just gave me one level of ' ls '. and it said: > find * | ls dir1 dir2 f1 f2 f3 Broken Pipe > what is broken pipe? how can i fix it? thks Gusla (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe

sometimes I ftp files from an Unix environment from the command prompt of my win2000 pc and I get a "broken pipe" message. sometimes I'll get nothing but sometimes I'll get part of the file. Whats this "broken pipe" about?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
3 Replies

5. Linux

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abir2
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abir2
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

broken pipe

hi i am trying to upload a file using ftp protocol, i am facing some problem while uploading "Failedtoupload:SFTREGUP1:FTP_ASCII_MAILBOX21.39.10.856305000:Broken pipe" Can someone explain why it is coming , and the solution . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

9. Programming

Broken Pipe problem in Socket Programming

Dear all, I am making a multithreaded server using socket programming in c .. i'd discovered that when the client closes the connection and the server is still sending him a stream of bytes the server crashed with a BROKEN PIPE problem. I can easily make the client notify the server before... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omar_Mokhtar
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe

I know what causes 'broken pipe' errors, but I can't understand why I can get it (only occasionally) with my example: ps -ef | grep "\./ans$" | grep -v grep Basically I'm searching the ps output looking for the process I'm interested in and excluding the process that is grepping for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhew
2 Replies