Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: auto quotas?
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory auto quotas? Post 302071632 by mcady_02 on Saturday 22nd of April 2006 11:08:27 PM
Old 04-23-2006
Its just a single system Im working with (no servers or data movers). I ended up just using the setquota command in one of my adduser scripts.
Thanks for the reply btw.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

disk quotas in UNIX?

RedHat 7.0 Caldera 2.4 From Windows 2000 server, you can allow ceratin users to use only so much disk space when they login. I'm sure you can do that in Linux/UNIX, but I just don't know how or what you call them here (disk quotas maybe?). Anyway, any kind help is always greatly appreciated.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zorro81
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

setting quotas

Hi, I'm trying to setup user quotas on my Linux system. It is Suse 7.3 running the standard kernel from that release. When I try to run quotaon, I get the following: # quotaon -v /dev/hdc1 quotaon: using /home/aquota.user on /dev/hdc1: Invalid argument I can't figure out what it means by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybler
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help!! script for quotas

here is the file i must use to write my script (from a repquota -g) : Group used soft grace ... group1 -- 270000 0 0 ... group2 -- 1500005 0 0 ... group3 -- 55 0 0 ... ... ... ... ... the script has to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Quotas and NIS

Has anyone ever used disk quotas with NIS? I tried to implement it the normal way but since the users only exist in NIS and not in the local passwd file when i try the edquota command it cannot find the user. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX 5.3 quotas

Hello, I will be creating several users on a new AIX box. I would like to limit the amount of data they can keep. How can I do that in smit or with a command. Thanks - Brad (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rondebbs
0 Replies

6. Linux

MySQL Quotas

How do I limit the maximum usage space for a specific MySQL user ?? Databases can be unlimited but the total sum of data on all tables and databases shouldn't exceed a limit I want. How to do this ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nilesh_lf
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Download quotas for users

Hi peeps, I have a teenage lad who needs to learn some discipline with internet access etc. etc. My main problem is that he is downloading so much that he is using more than his fair share. What I'd like to do is set a download quota for him so that he can learn what this all means. Can... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: greadey
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Quotas on /export/home

Hello all, I am trying to set quotas on /export/home filesystem for some of our users on a Solaris Zone I know that you would be redirecting me to some of the documentation pages, but I have already done that. The /export/home on the Zone is a Veritas FS and I cannot see an entry for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk Quotas

Hi, I'm practicing new things with Linux/Unix and I need someone to point me at the right direction. Lets say I create a user named user1. After creating it, how would I enable quotas for it. I have already added "userquota" under "/etc/fstab" and rebooted my system, but after I run the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi7514
1 Replies
setquota(2)							System Calls Manual						       setquota(2)

Name
       setquota - enable/disable quotas on a file system

Syntax
       setquota(special, file)
       char *special, *file;

Description
       Disk quotas are enabled or disabled with the call.  The special indicates a block special device on which a mounted file system exists.	If
       file is nonzero, it specifies a file in that file system from which to take the quotas.	If file is zero, then quotas are disabled  on  the
       file system.  The quota file must exist; it is normally created with the program.

Only the superuser can turn quotas on or off.

Return Values
       A zero (0) return value indicates a successful call.  A value of -1 is returned when an error occurs, and errno is set to indicate the rea-
       son for failure.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails when one of the following occurs:

[ENODEV]       The special does not exist.

[ENOTBLK]      The special is not a block device.

[ENXIO]	      The major device number of special is out of range. (This indicates no device driver exists for the associated hardware.)

[ENOTDIR]      A component of either path prefix is not a directory.

[EROFS]	      The file resides on a read-only file system.

[EACCES]       The file resides on a file system different from special.

[EACCES]       The file is not a plain file.

[EINVAL]       Either pathname contains a character with the high-order bit set.

[EINVAL]       The kernel has not been compiled with the QUOTA option.

[ENAMETOOLONG] A component of either pathname exceeded 255 characters, or the entire length of either path name exceeded 1023 characters.

[ENOENT]       The file does not exist.

[ELOOP]	      Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating either pathname.

[EPERM]	      The caller is not the superuser.

[EACCES]       Search permission is denied for a component of either path prefix.

[EIO]	      An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file containing the quotas.

[EFAULT]       The special or path points outside the process's allocated address space.

See Also
       quota(2), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8),
       "Disk Quotas in a UNIX Environment", Supplementary Documents, Vol. III:System Manager

setquota(2)