Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Refresh ls list on screen (auto-refresh)? Post 302071004 by skidude on Tuesday 11th of April 2006 10:29:59 AM
Old 04-11-2006
Refresh ls list on screen (auto-refresh)?

I am looking for a way to issue a command or string of commands to repeatedly display new files that are written to the directory. I usually use ls -ltr to see the newest files at the bottom of the screen. I would like to automate this command to refresh what is displayed every second or so. Can this be done at the command line or in a .ksh script? I seem to have found a way to do this many years ago but I am returning to UNIX (HPUX) now and can't remember how this was done.

Thanks in advance!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

How to increase refresh rate

Hi, I am using fc3, and I would like to know how to increase monitor refresh rate. I have tried "Applications" > "Preferences" > "Screen Resolution" but I can't seem to increase greater than 85Hz. I have tried to edit /etc/X11/xorg,conf but not sure how to... So here is my file. How... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: armen
6 Replies

2. AIX

Refresh window?

Hi, for my first time using AIX, I haven't had much luck and I was wondering if I could get some urgent help. I had a terminal open and had allocated some space to a new volume group and then logical partition to "/foldername". I then went to go to netscape, so I typed that in the terminal and it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimmyFo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

refresh user profile

Scenario: a non-root user is under primary group "devel" and I change their primary group to "nondevel"; I then want to be able to give the user a command which refreshes their user profile so that any new files created under their session are assigned to the new group. What is the command for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhinge
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

refresh ps ax |grep using a script

hi all I want to refresh ps ax |grep something using a script every n seconds. Plz advise how to do that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

5. Programming

ncurses refresh()

i have read in one of links, there its documented but i am using following code int main () { char ch; initscr(); printw("Enter a char :"); ch=getch(); printw("You Entered '%c' ",ch); getch(); endwin(); return 0; } the code does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Auto Refresh iptables's webmin settings

Hello people :) Here it's a simple thing to do, but really hard for me ^^' I use webmin and don't want to stop use it, but I'm stucked with something ... I search how refresh webmin's iptables rules ??? Some details about my problem : I ban a range of ip, because of users using dynamic... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WolwX
0 Replies

7. Programming

Motif Application will not refresh

I have a Motif Application created with XtVaAppInitialize. I have two field widgets, created with XmCreateTextField. Now when I programmatically change the data in any of the two fields, the widgets don't get refreshed, only after a mouse over. I have tried anything, from including the "xrefresh"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JenniferKuiper
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

C - IP change during a hardware refresh?

Hi All, I was told to perform analysis for IP change during a hardware refresh? Does the IP change when a hardware refresh is performed? if Yes, why? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitsany
5 Replies
pilot(1)						      General Commands Manual							  pilot(1)

Name
       pilot - simple file system browser in the style of the Pine Composer

Syntax
       pilot [ options ] [ directory ]

Description
       Pilot is a simple, display-oriented file system browser based on the Pine message system composer.  As with Pine, commands are displayed at
       the bottom of the screen, and context-sensitive help is provided.

Pilot displays the current working directory at the top of the screen.  The directory's contents are displayed in  columns  of  file  name,
       file  size pairs.  Names that are directories are indicated by the name "(dir)" in place of the file size.  The parent of the current work-
       ing directory is indicated by the file name ".." and size of "(parent dir)".  File names that are symbolic links to other  files  are  dis-
       played with a file size of "--".

Several	basic file manipulation commands are provided: Delete, Rename, Copy, View, Launch, and Edit.  The "View" and "Edit" commands oper-
       ate on text files only.	By default, the "View" command displays files using "pine -F", but will respect the environment variable PAGER	if
       set.   The  "Edit" command simply invokes "pico".  The "Launch" command provides a convenient way to either execute the selected file or to
       run an application on it.

More specific help is available in pilot's online help.

Options
       -a     Display all files including those beginning with a period (.).

-f     Use function keys for commands.  This option supported only in conjunction with UW Enhanced NCSA telnet.

-g     Enable "Show Cursor" mode.  Cause cursor to be positioned before the current selection rather than placed at the lower left  of  the
	      display.

-j     Enable "Goto" command.  This enables the command to permit explicitly telling pilot which directory to visit.

-m     Enable mouse functionality.  This only works when pilot is run from within an X Window System "xterm" window.

-nn    The  -nn	option	enables  new  mail notification.  The n argument is optional, and specifies how often, in seconds, your mailbox is
	      checked for new mail.  For example, -n60 causes pilot to check for new mail once every minute.  The default interval is 180 seconds,
	      while the minimum allowed is 30. (Note: no space between "n" and the number)

-o dir Sets  operating directory.  Only files within the specified directory are accessible and browsing is limited to the specified direc-
	      tory subtree.

-v     Enable single vertical column display.

-x     Disable keymenu at the bottom of the screen.

-z     Enable ^Z suspension of pilot.

-q     Termcap or terminfo definition for input escape sequences are used in preference to sequences defined by default.   This	option	is
	      only available if pilot was compiled with the TERMCAP_WINS define turned on.

Authors
       Michael Seibel <mikes@cac.washington.edu>
       Copyright 1994-2001 by the University of Washington.

See Also
       pine(1)
       Source distribution (part of the Pine Message System):
	  ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/pine.tar.Z

$Date: 2001/01/02 21:59:52 $

Version 1.1 							  pilot(1)