Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Oracle or Applmgr users can not connect Post 302070919 by blowtorch on Monday 10th of April 2006 07:36:17 AM
Old 04-10-2006
Check the shell of the user oracle. It may be that it is set to /bin/false. This might have this kind of effect. If the shell is set to /bin/false, change it to some other shell (such as /bin/sh) and then try to login.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocking ftp users to connect using telnet

Hi everybody ! We have all flavors of Unix / Linux and we want to restrict ftp users to telnet our servers. We can't disable telnet because we have other users using it. :confused: Are there any thing that could be done to solve this thing ??? Best regards, Julio Moreira (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliocdrm
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to connect to oracle ??

Hi, I am a new user, who wants to connect to oracle through shell scripting. Can anybody help me? Regards, Divyesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divyesh shah
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to connect ORACLE using PERL

Hi Friends, I am having Perl 5 and Oracle 9i. I just wanna to connect Oracle DB & to perform some select query statement. Could anyone pls let me know. I've tried below command which i found in some website, But it throws some error.:confused: Executed: perl -e 'use DBI; print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to connect oracle from unix

Hi All, I am trying to connect oracle from unix mechine but i am getting an error like Ksh: sqlplus: not found Any one please tell me how to connect oracle from unix mechine. I would appreciate if any one send the query. Regards, Ravi kumar.Gongati (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi gongati
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl connect to remote oracle db without local oracle installation

I want to use Perl to connect to a remote Oracle DB I have no oracle installation on my server (and dont plan on installing one) I am using solaris 9 on x86 server. Is this possible? I basically want to run some basic sql queries on the remote oracle db which I have access to using perl on my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to connect Oracle

In unix i login as root but when i am conneting to SQL as sqlplus "/ as sysdba" then its telling "sh: sqlplus: not found".. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripudaman.singh
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching user to oracle to connect Oracle 11g DB with 'sysdba'

I need to connect my Oracle 11g DB from shell script with 'sysdba' permissions. To do this I have to switch user from 'root' to 'oracle'. I've tried the following with no success. su - oracle -c "<< EOF1 sqlplus -s "/ as sysdba" << EOF2 whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NetBear
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to Oracle using sqlplus

I have logged into oracle using SQLPLUS. When I type any kind of query, there is only 1 answer - '2'. What is wrong with it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Subhasis
1 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Identify a specific environment Oracle variable to connect a remote Oracle database ?

Good evening I nned your help pls, In an unix server i want to connect to a remote oracle databse server by sqlplus. I tried to find out the user/passwd and service name by env variable and all Ive got is this: ORACLE_SID_REPCOL=SCL_REPCOL ORACLE_SID=xmeta ORACLE_SID_TOL=SCL_PROTOLCOL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to Oracle database

could someone please help me in shell scripting. i want to connect to oracle database which is on remote sever. requirement: 1 want to check files in source directory if file exist then a execute a corresponding batch jobs on unix sever and fetch data from oracle database which is on remote... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: refi123
2 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)