Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sort (bash command)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort (bash command) Post 302070116 by booboo on Friday 31st of March 2006 01:43:00 PM
Old 03-31-2006
yep... works great.

thanks Abhishek...
I would've been on this for a long time now that I see the solution.

thanks again, very much appreciated Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort decimal values in bash

Hi, I have a list of values from associative array from 0,..till 1.0000. I tried various sort options; sort -g, sort -nr but it still couldnt work. In other words, the numbers are not sorted accordingly. Please help. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash ps; remove the header, sort and reinsert

Hi, I'm ssh'ing into a server using ruby and sending a one-liner to retrieve the output of the 'ps aux' command. So far, this is what I have: ps aux | sort -r -n -k3 | sed -e '1s/^/this is first\n/' | head -n10 With this I can insert a line at position 1, but I would rather extract the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gekeha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort data by the end of each line using BASH.

I am trying to sort data within a text document by the information at the end of each line. Please see below for an example: <Profile_0 Name="Random name 0" Description="This is the description." Category="System" ProfileFlags.DWD="6" ABCD="{FF350E61-4FFF-4600-BFFF-3B27DD4BA746}"/>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davinator
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Sort four lines based on first line

I am in the process of sorting an AutoHotkey script's contents so as to make it easier for me to find and view its nearly 200 buzzwords (when I forget which one corresponds with what phrase, which I do now and then). About half to two-thirds of the script's key phrases correspond to locations... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - remove duplicates without sort

I need to use bash to remove duplicates without using sort first. I can not use: cat file | sort | uniq But when I use only cat file | uniq some duplicates are not removed. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to sort files

I've got a disorganized list of items and quantities for each. I've been using a combination of grep and sort to find out how much to buy of each item. I'm tired of having to constantly using these commands so I've been trying to write a shell script to make it easier, but I can't figure out how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i sort lines lexigraphical in bash?

I am currently having some problems with my script not sorting my files lexiographically. The error seem to be localized here where i sort the utt2spk file, which is done like this.. for x in test train; do for f in text utt2spk; do sort data/$x/$f -o... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to sort file with certain criteria (bash)?

I am running a command that is part of a script and this is what I am getting when it is sorted by the command: command: ls /tmp/test/*NDMP*.z /tmp/test/CARS-GOLD-NET_CHROMJOB-01-XZ-ARCHIVE-NDMP.z /tmp/test/CARS-GOLD-NET_CHROMJOB-01-XZ-NDMP.z... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux