Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping apostrophe using shell script Post 302069932 by mradul_kaushik on Thursday 30th of March 2006 08:33:18 AM
Old 03-30-2006
Escaping apostrophe using shell script

Hi,

I am using the KSH shell. I am facing a problem of escaping apostrophe('), that is occuring in a variable.
I used the following command, but in vain

item=`echo $item|sed 's/'/\'/g'`

this code replaces the occurance of ' in an xml file to apostrophe(') symbol.
The output of the above piece of code is
sed: command garbled: s/'/\/g

Please Help,

Thanks in advance

MK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

escaping * in korn Shell under Sun Solaris

When trying to escape special character * - it doesn't seem to work. In korn shell trying to store a local variable as follows sample=test* echo $sample - gets all the file names starting with test* , instead i want to literally store the value test* into a variable. I tried escaping with \, with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prekida
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping * in korn shell

When trying to escape special character * - it doesn't seem to work. In korn shell trying to store a local variable as follows sample=test* echo $sample - gets all the file names starting with test* , instead i want to literally store the value test* into a variable. I tried escaping with \, with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prekida
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script help: escaping the '*'

hi there. i have a simple bash script that reads a word from a text file one at a time, and if a '*' character is encountered, it prints a message. however it doesn't work as i expected. :o what am i doing wrong here? thanks very much for the help :) for word in `cat $DOC` do if... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_nsx
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping double-quotes inside the script?

I'm having a strange problem with escaping double-quotes. I have a script that looks like this: #!/bin/bash for HOST in `cat $INFILE | grep -v ^#` do for VFILER in `some_command` do echo " " echo -e '\E The problem with ssh command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to replace a character with '(Apostrophe)

Hi Friends, I need a sed or awk based script to replace a character(alphabet) with ' (Apostrophe). I tried to use the following two commands 1) sed -e 's/a/'/' filename 2) awk '{sub("a","'",$1);print}' filename but both got failed. Any help on this. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace apostrophe with backslash apostrophe

I'm coding using BASH and have a requirement to replace apostrophes with backslash apostrophes. For example below: I am here 'in my room' ok Would be changed to: I am here /'in my room/' ok The original text is coming from a field in a MySql database and is being used by another process that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbjock
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove apostrophe and a letter followed by it

Hi All, For example, I have some words like these: cabinet's school's field's you'll I know how to remove apostrophe from these words using this command: cat filename | tr -s "\'" ' ' But I am not sure how I can remove the letter followed by the apostrophe, so that my output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command

I have a file which contains a list of paths separated by a new line character. e.g /some/path/to/a/file.png /some/path to/another/file.jpeg /some path/to yet/another/file Notice that these paths may contain metacharacters, the spaces for example are also not escaped. If I wanted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping problem in a shell script

Hi, i made a gnuplot script which accepts a filename as parameter (using gnuplot -e) now i want to run this script from a shell script, the correct command (with a concrete parameter) looks like this: gnuplot -e 'name="filename.dat;col=2"' gplscript.gpl my shell script looks like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: franko007
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find ' (apostrophe) by grep

hi linux expert how can i find apostrophe (') symbol in text file by grep? for example for find 'test, the command grep " \'test" * is not useful. Many Thanks samad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
1 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)