Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to insert text using variable Post 302069390 by mopimp on Friday 24th of March 2006 07:13:34 PM
Old 03-24-2006
how to insert text using variable

Hi i have a dilemma

I need to write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text, the second being a newly created file. The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top ( the first line) of the file named in your second argument.

Note! The file must retain the original name

at the moment i have

sed '1i\
ADD THIS LINE' cust

and would like to replace ADD THIS LINE with a variable, that has been sent via an argument ie $1. And ultimately i would like to replace cust with another variable that has been sent via argument ie $2 ....

iam a little bit lost as i have just started unix last week

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert line into file using variable

Hi all, I am trying to insert couple of lines before first occurance of line3 which occuring after line 5. So I identified the line 5 line number in the file. Also redirected the all line3 line number to out.txt. Now I have problem in inserting the line using the variable $rep. Please help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimmanuel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text into file depending on variable

Hey guys , i have a variable with the contents ... NUMBER=4 and a test file with the contents 1248 1213 1214 1278 1200 3045 3444 2130 I want to execute a script that will produce the following output ( based on NUMBER=4) to be ... create 1248 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: theshams
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a variable in insert query?

My script contains as follows, VALUE=`sqlplus un/pwd <<EOF > OB.txt set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select max(1) from table1; exit; EOF` insert into table2 values(1, 'The max value is $value',...); i need the value of VALUE to be inserted after 'The max... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: savithavijay
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text after a block of text?

Input: fstab is a configuration file that contains information of all the partitions and storage devices in your computer. The file is located under /etc, so the full path to this file is /etc/fstab. The >>>>> characters would be replaced by some texts. For example if i run a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert variable into awk

I'm trying to insert a filename into awk. filename="12345.wmv" I have tried this: awk '/$filename/{print $0}' infile and this: awk -v fn=$filename '/$fn/{print $0}' infile How do I insert the variable into awk? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a variable to a text file after fixed number of lines

Hi, I am new to unix. I need to insert a variable which contains some lines of text into a text file after fixed number of lines.. Please help me on this.. Thanks in Advance, Amrutha (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amr89
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash: Insert in a variable a file

hi all i have a problem in the bash shell. i'd like insert in a variable a file for example : i have a file datafine.log in this file there is : 17/JUN/2019 i want to insert the value of datafine.log in a variable. Regards Frncesco edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for your data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
2 Replies
MAKESH(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    MAKESH(1)

NAME
makeSH - a .SH script maker SYNOPSIS
makeSH files DESCRIPTION
MakeSH examines one or more scripts and produces a .SH file that, when run under sh, will produce the original script. The .SH script so produced has two sections containing code destined for the output. The first section has variable substitutions performed on it (taking values from config.sh), while the second section does not. MakeSH does not know which variables you want to have substituted, so it puts the whole script into the second section. It's up to you to insert any variable substitutions in the first section for any values you want from config.sh. You should run makeSH from within your top-level directory and use the relative path to the file as an argument, so that the "Extracting ..." line printed while running the produced .SH file later on will give that same path. AUTHOR
Larry Wall <lwall@netlabs.com> SEE ALSO
pat(1), metaconfig(1), makedist(1). BUGS
It could assume that variables from metaconfig's Glossary need to be initialized in the first section, but I'm too lazy to make it do that. LOCAL MAKESH(1)