Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VxVM disk/lun grow
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users VxVM disk/lun grow Post 302069344 by Perderabo on Friday 24th of March 2006 12:24:14 PM
Old 03-24-2006
Using the terminology of vxvm, you take some disks and put them together to make a disk group. Then you carve volumes out of the disk group. It sounds like you have increased the size of a disk and you want vxvm to notice the increased size. Short of reinitializing the disk, I'm not sure you can do that. If you can, I feel that it would be one of the "disk" type commands rather than a "volume" type command. I think you're expected to add a disk to the disk group and then increase the volumes.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to add disk into Striped Volume VxVM

VxVM: How to add one more disk into v08 the stripe should change from 7/128 to 8/128 v v08 - ENABLED ACTIVE 8954292224 SELECT v08-01 fsgen pl v08-01 v08 ENABLED ACTIVE 8954292480 STRIPE 7/128 RW sd bkpdg35-01 v08-01 bkpdg35 17216 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoffry
0 Replies

2. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

3. Solaris

I have LUN ID, how to find disk relate to that LUN ID?

I have a list of LUN ID, my task is to find if disk has been added or not. How do I do that? I have been searching the forum and not able to find answer. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uuontario
4 Replies

4. AIX

Any tips to grow iSCSI LUN

Hi, I have an iSCSI LUN attached to an AIX 5.3 box. It's initial size is 250GB, I just grew it on the SAN to 300GB, but AIX is not seeing the change. Right now I have some processes going and it's eating up the disk space. I need to grow this lun by atleast 30GB otherwise the process with bomb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Grow LUN presented on Linux host

Hi, I have a SAN LUN of 550 GB created as an ext3 partition of the entire lun and need to make the lun and partition larger... 600 GB # fdisk -l /dev/sdj Disk /dev/sdj: 590.5 GB, 590558003200 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 71797 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which disk is LUN?

how do I know which hdisk from "lsdev -Cc disk" is my LUN on NetApp after zoning from SAN switch? is it "MPIO other FC SCSI Disk Drive"? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malayo
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

VxVM not able to see new disk

I have VxVM 5.1 running on Solaris-10. I have to increase a application file-system and storage team gave me a lun. After scanning scsi port by cfgadm, I can see them in format output. I labelled it, but I am not able to see them in "vxdisk list". I already tried commands --> vxdctl enable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris/vxvm/EMC Lun configuration

Hello all, i try to allocate the same LUN to two server (or more in the future) i use solaris 10, vxvm (vxfs) for data and solaris zones and EMC DMX-4, i try to migrate solaris zones between servers in case of problem. and this is what i want to do - affect LUN to srv00124 and srv10155 -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mat_solaris
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

Removing a VxVM disk from a Disk Group

Hello all, So I made a rookie mistake today. I forgot to remove my disk from my disk group, before running the following command:for i in `ioscan -fnN | awk /NO/'{print $3}'` do rmsf -H $i done I am trying to run the following command, but not having any luck obviously:vxdg -g dgvol1 rmdisk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkejames2
0 Replies
vxcached(1M)															      vxcached(1M)

NAME
vxcached - resize cache volumes when required SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxcached [-v] [mail-address ...] DESCRIPTION
The Veritas Volume Manager cache daemon, vxcached, is invoked by the VxVM kernel to monitor the cache objects that are used by space-opti- mized snapshots. When usage of a cache volume by space-optimized snapshots reaches the high watermark level that has been set for the cache, vxcached automatically grows the cache volume if this is required and configured. The -v option enables the daemon in verbose mode. If no mail addresses are given as arguments, mail is sent to root. If the autogrow feature has been enabled on a cache object, the values of the highwatermark, autogrowby and maxautogrow attributes for the cache object determine the behavior of vxcached: o When cache usage reaches the high watermark value, highwatermark, (default value is 90 percent), and the new required cache size would not exceed the value of maxautogrow (default value is twice the size of the cache volume in blocks), vxcached grows the size of the cache volume by the value of autogrowby (default value is 20% of the size of the cache volume in blocks). o When cache usage reaches the high watermark value, and the new required cache size would exceed the value of maxautogrow, vxcached deletes the oldest snapshot in the cache. If there are several snapshots with the same age, the largest of these is deleted. If the autogrow feature has been disabled on a cache object: o When cache usage reaches the high watermark value, vxcached deletes the oldest snapshot in the cache. If there are several snapshots with the same age, the largest of these is deleted. If there is only a single snapshot, the snapshot is detached and marked as invalid. The values of the highwatermark, autogrowby and maxautogrow attributes can be set when a cache object is created using vxmake. If neces- sary, you can use the vxcache set command to change the values of these attributes for an existing cache. NOTES
The vxcached daemon is started automatically if a license for the FastResync feature is already present on the system. If you add such a license while VxVM is running, you can either start vxcached manually, or shut down and reboot the system. Killing the vxcached process stops it from removing snapshots. The daemon can be prevented from being started by commenting out its entry in the startup script, /sbin/init.d/vxvm-recover. The vxcached daemon does not remove snapshots that are currently open, and it does not remove the last or only snapshot in the cache. If the cache space becomes exhausted, the snapshot is detached. If this happens, the snapshot is unrecoverable and must be removed manu- ally. Enabling the autogrow feature on the cache helps to avoid this situation occurring. However, for very small caches (of the order of a few megabytes), it is possible for the cache to become exhausted before the system has time to respond and grow the cache. In such cases, either increase the size of the cache manually, or reduce the value of highwatermark. You can use the maxautogrow attribute to limit the maximum size to which a cache can grow. To estimate this size, consider how much the contents of each source volume are likely to change between snapshot refreshes, and allow some additional space for contingency. SEE ALSO
vxcache(1M), vxintro(1M), vxmake(1M), vxsnap(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxcached(1M)