Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help combining lines in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help combining lines in awk Post 302069264 by vgersh99 on Thursday 23rd of March 2006 05:26:33 PM
Old 03-23-2006
Code:
paste -d ' ' - - < myFile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple lines

I am fairly new to scripting. But I have been able to extract and format all of my information required into one file. My issue is that one character is on a separate line. I need to be able to add the character to the previous line. ex. abcdefghi 1 bcdefghij 3 cdefghijk 4 need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DUST
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help appending lines/combining lines within a file...

Is there a way to combine two lines onto a single line...append the following line onto the previous line? I have the following file that contains some blank lines and some lines I would like to append to the previous line... current file: checking dsk c19t2d6 checking dsk c19t2d7 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining lines between 2 pattern using awk

Hi I am fairly new to shell scripting i have some file with outout 1011 abc fyi 6.1.4.5 abr tio 70986 dfb hji 4.1.7 ....some text 111114 i have to format this text to 1011 abc fyi 6.1.4.5 abr tio 70986 dfb hji 4.1.7 ....some text 111114 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell.scriptor
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two text lines into one

Here is the sample file: 646 STARTED Tue Dec 30 06:38:53 2008 Job DdCustXAddr_brad has been reset. 647 STARTED Tue Dec 30 06:38:54 2008 Starting Job DdCustXAddr_brad. (...) 704 STARTED Tue Dec 30 06:49:02 2008 Job DdCustXAddr_brad aborted. I want to combine every non-numbered line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfavero
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining many lines to one using awk or any unix cmd

Combining many lines to one using awk or any unix cmd Inputfile: Output : Appreciate help on this. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and combining lines to stdout

I am trying to come up with a good approach to taking a file and only printing 10 columns. The input file has duplicate lines but only the 6th column has real value. I just need to combine the lines and output 1 line per example file: 1 2.0765 AA 10 0.6557 ..... 1 2.0765 AA 10 0.6655 ..... 2... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mykey242
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining lines between two specific lines

Hi, I have a requirement like following: I have input file like: Question: 1 ----Multiple choice--- What is your favourite colour? Options: a) red b) blue c) none of these Question: 2 ---Multiple choice----- In which month did you join your first job? Options: a) Jan b) Feb c)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppatra
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading two lines in a while loop and combining the lines

Dear all, I have a file like this: imput scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000 scaffold_0 25000 scaffold_1 1 scaffold_1 10000 scaffold_1 20000 scaffold_1 23283 and I want the output like this: scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two lines into one, UNIX

Hi All, I have a file which has the following sample lines -- <Member name="Canada" Currency="CAD" -- <Member name="UK" Currency="GBP" -- <Member name="Switzerland" Currency="CHF" -- <Member name="Germany" Currency="EUR" -- (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Combining lines in one line

Hi below is the input file snippet. here i want that all the line which is coming after 1 shoud be in one line. so for exanple if after 1 there is two lines which is starting with 2 should be combine in one line. input file content 1,8091012,BATCH_1430903_01,21,T,2,808738,,,,21121:87:01,... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
19 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)