Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Start subshell with different STDOUT Post 302069252 by EvilBoz on Thursday 23rd of March 2006 03:39:58 PM
Old 03-23-2006
Start subshell with different STDOUT

Hello
Before I get to my question let me explain the situation. I am writing a ksh script to startup several instances of an application. That is done by executing another ksh script (let's call it startApp) with some arguments. Now, startApp writes some information to stdout that I don't want displayed from my master script. However, it also redirects stdout to a log file and writes important information that is needed. When I try
Code:
startApp arg1 arg2 > SOME_FILE

in the master script, the log file is not created. I understand that when I execute startApp from within my script, startApp's subshell inherits stdin and stdout. Is there a way to execute startApp in a completely new shell that does not share stdout with the calling shell?
Thanks,

EvilBoz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subshell Question

The profile of the user is empty. Then before I run the script I want I run a parameter file that populates the variables for oracle. ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_BASE ORACLE_SID PATH etc ... But it seems that these variables are not making it to the shell I am in because when I do an echo on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDOUT to a file in a subshell

Hi, I would like to avoid re-directing line by line to a file. What is the best way to re-direct STDOUT to a file in a subshell? Thanks in advance. Cheers Vj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tnvee
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a subshell

I am calling a script from with another script and reading its output one line at a time (using <childscript> | while read line) in the parent script. If the output exceeds a predefined number of lines I want to kill the child shell from within the parent shell. I decided to print the process ID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts in a subshell

Hello, I've a little problem with one of my ksh scripts and I manage to narrow it to the script here: #!/bin/ksh writeLog() { paramHandle="unknown" OPTIND=1 while getopts :i: option $* do case $option in i) paramHandle=${OPTARG} ;; esac done echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dahu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basename in subshell

Hi All, I would like to improve my bash scripting skill and found a problem which I do not understand. Task is to search and print files in directory (and subdirecories) which contains its own name. Files can have spaces in name. This one works fine for files in main directory, but not for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_item
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop subshell problem

People, Here is my code while read ln do xyz=$(echo $ln/$val1*100-100|bc -l|xargs printf "%1.0f\n") if && ; then iam="YELLOW" fi done <<< "$(grep "^" $TMPOUT)" where $TMPOUT is a flat file which contains a set of values. Whilst executing the above, I get an error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts in the subshell of ksh

Hi, the getopts doesnt seem to be working in the subshell of the ksh. when I echo $@ and $* from the subshell it shows nothing. even when I am capturing the parameters from the outer shell and passing while invoking the file then I am still not getting it properly. the below code is in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help sending mail through subshell

Hey I have a shell script that is like this: ( echo "hi!" ##DO SOMETHING )&( sleep 5 ##EMAIL RECIPIENTS VARs ERECIPIENT3="email.com" echo "Connection on status: is Down"|mail -s "Subject:" ${ERECIPIENT3} kill -- -$$ ) This isn't working anyone know why? mail won't go out from... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo_VERTICASQL
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have each subshell write stderr and stdout to its own logfile

Hello, As stated in the title, I do some hacked parallel processing by running multiple instances of bash scripts, each in their own subshell. The code looks like this, # launch one batch-train script in background for each value in fold group list for FOLD_GROUP in "${FOLD_GROUP_LIST}" do ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)