Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting insert escape charactor within VIM Post 302069221 by cin2000 on Thursday 23rd of March 2006 11:40:21 AM
Old 03-23-2006
insert escape charactor within VIM

Hi,
I need to send "^[" command to the buffer.
I tried to use insert within VIM and press 'ctrl' key and then '^' and '[' key.
but it didn't work.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks a lot!
Julie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pick out last charactor of a string?

Hi, Does anyone know how many ways to pick out last charactor of a string? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cin2000
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Both HOME and INSERT key send same escape sequence on ssh

I couldn't seem to make 'HOME' key work on my remote windows ssh client to a Fedora Core3 server (the home key works perfectly when i'm physically on site.) To my surprise, using control+V it seems that both my home and insert key send the same escape sequence ^So it must be my windows SSH client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search from specified charactor space

Hello, I'm quite a noobie in programming in UNIX and I was wondering if it is possible to use 'grep' or similar method to find PATTERNS from designated location (of charactor) for example |param 1 ||param2 | andrew kim josh daniel kim michelle michelle andrew kim I hope... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: akmix
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi/vim insert behaviors

While using vi or vim on different boxes, I experience different behaviors when I'm inserting (i) or writing on a new line (o). On the Linux box, I can insert and delete with my backspacekey while in the insert mode. It acts a little more like pico,nedit, etc. On the SunOS box, it's a headache... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto escape script to escape special chars in script args

This is a bit off the wall, but I often need to run scripts where there are argument values that contain special characters. For example, $ ./process.exe -t M -N -o temp.mol.s -i ../molfiles/N,N\',N\'\'-trimethylbis\(hexamethylene\)triamine.mol && sfile_space_to_tab.sh temp.mol.s temp.s It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check charactor in certain position?

Hi Gurus, I need to check the charactor in certain position. in my file abcdef1234gh ac1234eeeegt acdead1235gh I want to check what is check from position 7 to 10's charactor, if it is 1234, then output the whole line. for above file, I want to get below output abcdef1234gh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi / vim - Insert a external command response

I would like to execute and external command and insert it into a particular area of the file I am editing. Note that I have the ORIGINAL AT&T vi training doc dated 1987. Doesnt explain it. As an example, in a vi editor I have I would like the result : After executing the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert one charactor multiple times in VI

Hi Gurus, I forgot the command which can insert one character multiple times. for example: I need 50 "#" #############... I used the command before, it is very convenient. anybody can help this. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Torhong
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell vim defaulting to Insert or Command mode

On a daily basis I need to SSH into several different RHEL servers using Putty. On some of the servers, if I up arrow to get a previous command, it automatically starts in Input Mode, so if I press up arrow, then 'x' it will type the letter x at the end of the command line. On other servers, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derndingle
4 Replies
readkey(3alleg4)                                                  Allegro manual                                                  readkey(3alleg4)

NAME
readkey - Returns the next character from the keyboard buffer. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> int readkey(); DESCRIPTION
Returns the next character from the keyboard buffer, in ASCII format. If the buffer is empty, it waits until a key is pressed. You can see if there are queued keypresses with keypressed(). The low byte of the return value contains the ASCII code of the key, and the high byte the scancode. The scancode remains the same whatever the state of the shift, ctrl and alt keys, while the ASCII code is affected by shift and ctrl in the normal way (shift changes case, ctrl+letter gives the position of that letter in the alphabet, eg. ctrl+A = 1, ctrl+B = 2, etc). Pressing alt+key returns only the scan- code, with a zero ASCII code in the low byte. For example: int val; ... val = readkey(); if ((val & 0xff) == 'd') /* by ASCII code */ allegro_message("You pressed 'd' "); if ((val >> 8) == KEY_SPACE) /* by scancode */ allegro_message("You pressed Space "); if ((val & 0xff) == 3) /* ctrl+letter */ allegro_message("You pressed Control+C "); if (val == (KEY_X << 8)) /* alt+letter */ allegro_message("You pressed Alt+X "); This function cannot return character values greater than 255. If you need to read Unicode input, use ureadkey() instead. SEE ALSO
install_keyboard(3alleg4), ureadkey(3alleg4), keypressed(3alleg4), clear_keybuf(3alleg4), simulate_keypress(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 readkey(3alleg4)