Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ignore Case in Shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ignore Case in Shell Post 302068907 by mr-synapse on Tuesday 21st of March 2006 03:41:43 PM
Old 03-21-2006
Ignore CASE/case in script...

The means I use to ignore case, as an example is the following snippet:

read -p "Enter Y/N to continue: " YN
y|Y|YES|Yes|n|N|NO|No=`echo $YN | tr [:lower:][:upper:]`

This allows anybody using your script to supply a response of any kind or
variation and it will be converted to an upper CASE respones i.e. Y or N!

Good luck!

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore case sensitive in Case Switch

In a Case switch, how to ignore case sensitive in the test: e.g. case "$field" in "TEST) action1;; *) action2;; esac How to go in action1 in case of $field = TEST , or Test , or test or .... without enumerating all possibilities... Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annelisa
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I ignore one character in a case statement? PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I am new to this forums. I need help with shell, and ksh in particular. I have a case statement that does something if -k. So it looks like: case $arg in -k) PUT=y, SEND=1 Thats all good and dandy. But now I want to change it where whether or not the user puts -k or not, it will do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpunisher
2 Replies

3. Programming

Ignore case in a test?

How do I ignore the case in an if condition..? EDIT: I put this in the wrong board...this is a linux script. if then echo "Same name." else echo "Different name." fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl index function ignore case

Hi, Is there any way of ignoring case in Perl's index function? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to ignore case

Hi All, The means I use to ignore case, as an example is the following snippet: It should accept any oof the following y|Y|YES|Yes|n|N|NO|No echo "Enter Y/N to continue: " read choice; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To ignore user input case.

hi, i will like to know whether awk command can ignore case? i written a script that will take in user input and search for data on the 1st field from a text file. echo -n "Title:" read title awk -F":" '$1~/'"$title"'/{print $0}' Filename read ans return ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple but challenging ignore case

Folks - I found this code on the forums to extract a paragraph for a matching pattern but I don't know how to make it ignore case. grep "-ip" is not an option for me as I am on SUSE LINUX. Thanks for ur help. I run this script as below: grep_para.ksh sqlstate < logfile "The end result... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beowulfkid
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to ignore CAPS or case sensitivity?

If I'm using a program that is expecting certain filenames and directories to be all CAPS, isn't there a way to ignore this in linux/cshell scripting? I.e., similiar to ignoring spaces with " (i.e., directory is directory 1, can ignore by typing "directory 1".) ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebazon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge strings with ignore case

I have a bi-lingual database of a large number of dictionaries. It so happens that in some a given string is in upper case and in others it is in lower case. An example will illustrate the issue. toll Tax=पथ-कर Toll tax=राहदारी कर toll tax=टोल I want to treat all three instances of toll tax... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to ignore Case with in COMM command?

Hi, How can i ignore case between 2 files in unix using COMM command. 2 input files are: -bash-4.1$ more x2.txt HELLO hi HI raj -bash-4.1$ more x3.txt hello hi raj COMM command: -bash-4.1$ comm x2.txt x3.txt hello HELLO hi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies
COMBINEDIFF(1)							     Man pages							    COMBINEDIFF(1)

NAME
combinediff - create a cumulative unified patch from two incremental patches SYNOPSIS
combinediff [[-p n] | [--strip-match=n]] [[-U n] | [--unified=n]] [[-d PAT] | [--drop-context=PAT]] [[-q] | [--quiet]] [[-z] | [--decompress]] [[-b] | [--ignore-space-change]] [[-B] | [--ignore-blank-lines]] [[-i] | [--ignore-case]] [[-w] | [--ignore-all-space]] [[--interpolate] | [--combine]] diff1 diff2 combinediff {[--help] | [--version]} DESCRIPTION
combinediff creates a unified diff that expresses the sum of two diffs. The diff files must be listed in the order that they are to be applied. For best results, the diffs must have at least three lines of context. Since combinediff doesn't have the advantage of being able to look at the files that are to be modified, it has stricter requirements on the input format than patch(1) does. The output of GNU diff will be okay, even with extensions, but if you intend to use a hand-edited patch it might be wise to clean up the offsets and counts using recountdiff(1) first. Note, however, that the two patches must be in strict incremental order. In other words, the second patch must be relative to the state of the original set of files after the first patch was applied. The diffs may be in context format. The output, however, will be in unified format. OPTIONS
-p n, --strip-match=n When comparing filenames, ignore the first n pathname components from both patches. (This is similar to the -p option to GNU patch(1).) -q, --quiet Quieter output. Don't emit rationale lines at the beginning of each patch. -U n, --unified=n Attempt to display n lines of context (requires at least n lines of context in both input files). (This is similar to the -U option to GNU diff(1).) -d pattern, --drop-context=PATTERN Don't display any context on files that match the shell wildcard pattern. This option can be given multiple times. Note that the interpretation of the shell wildcard pattern does not count slash characters or periods as special (in other words, no flags are given to fnmatch). This is so that "*/basename"-type patterns can be given without limiting the number of pathname components. -i, --ignore-case Consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. -w, --ignore-all-space Ignore whitespace changes in patches. -b, --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in the amount of whitespace. -B, --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes whose lines are all blank. -z, --decompress Decompress files with extensions .gz and .bz2. --interpolate Run as "interdiff". See interdiff(1) for more information about how the behaviour is altered in this mode. --combine Run as "combinediff". This is the default. --help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version number of combinediff. BUGS
The -U option is a bit erratic: it can control the amount of context displayed for files that are modified in both patches, but not for files that only appear in one patch (which appear with the same amount of context in the output as in the input). SEE ALSO
interdiff(1) AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> Package maintainer patchutils 23 Jan 2009 COMBINEDIFF(1)