Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how do you install text.tgz
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how do you install text.tgz Post 29866 by djtrippin on Sunday 13th of October 2002 12:04:11 AM
Old 10-13-2002
you can also type

gunzip -f text.tgz
tar -x text.tar

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unzip .tgz files

hi all How to unzip .tgz files waiting for suggestions Praful (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
5 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

*.tgz file on WinXP

Could anyone of y'all gurus tell me of how to open *.tgz files in WinXP....which program should i use to open it...i have tried going online to open it ut all in vain...please help Gerry... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerald_agoi
5 Replies

3. Programming

Looking for baseqrts tgz

Hi, I have searched google and some ftp, but I couldn't find it. If you have this source or know where I can download it, please send it to me or leave a message, thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract .tgz files that only contain a pattern

Let's say I've got File.tgz that contains:- Apple.txt Banana.txt Carrot.txt AppleBanana.txt Now, I would like to only extract files that contain the patter "Apple". I've tried this tar -xvf File.tgz 'tar -tf File.tgz | grep 'Apple'' but it does not work. Please help. Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: percivalwcy
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file.tgz.1of2 & file.tgz.2of2

Hi all, Need help. Anybody seen this kind of file before? file.tgz.1of2 file.tgz.2of2 how to extract this tgz file? Any help? Tq (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeedwolf
5 Replies

6. AIX

Unable to gunzip .tgz file in AIX6.1

Hi guys, This is my 1st post here. I tried to Google around but failed to get my solution. So I hope you guys could help me. (I have just a basic unix background for 2years so I'm sorry if im asking stupid questions) OS - Aix 6.1, 64 bits. Server - currently I only have telnet access to a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilotHans
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create tgz file for all the directories in one time?

Hi, On server there is an one folder . which contains sub folder Eg - TEST folder contains test1, test2, execr ,tt (folder). also includes some text file like abc.txt psp.txt gg.log. here iwant to create tgz file for all the folders and file in one time. I know the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aish11
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to install .tar.tgz file in AIX 6.1?

Hello, I have openssl.0.9.8.1103.tar.tgz file which I have downloaded from https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/reg/download.do?source=aixbp&S_PKG=openssl siteThe website says that the file name is openssl.0.9.8.1103.tar.z but when downloaded I get openssl.0.9.8.1103.tar.tgz as the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaugeta
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a tgz from source FreeBSD

Hello, i'm having a problem here with FreeBSD 9.2 . I've created a directory and downloaded the latest ntp-4.2.8p1-beta2 from ntp.org. Untar then into the directory and then ./configure all went OK. Then i had to modify some parameters in the config.h created with ./configure . Then make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
2 Replies
UUENCODE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       UUENCODE(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode -- encode/decode a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [inputfile] outputname uudecode [-m | -p] [encoded-file ...] DESCRIPTION
uuencode and uudecode are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. The following options are available: -m Use base64 encoding. uuencode reads inputfile (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand outputname for use by uudecode. uudecode transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named outputname as recorded in the encoded file, and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and execute bits are not retained; if the -p option is specified, the data will be written to the standard output instead. uudecode ignores any leading and trailing lines. EXIT STATUS
The uudecode and uuencode utilities exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. tar czf - src_tree | uuencode src_tree.tgz | mail user@example.com On the other system, if the user saves the mail to the file temp, the following example creates the file src_tree.tgz and extracts it to make a copy of the original tree. uudecode temp tar xzf src_tree.tgz SEE ALSO
gzip(1), mail(1), tar(1), uuencode(5) STANDARDS
The uudecode and uuencode utilities conform to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
The uudecode and uuencode utilities appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
The encoded form of the file is expanded by 35% (3 bytes become 4 plus control information). BSD
November 30, 2008 BSD