Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: log questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers log questions Post 29475 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 7th of October 2002 03:06:13 PM
Old 10-07-2002
I'm just guessing, but I'll bet "they" is your teacher.

If this is a homework question, those are strictly forbidden on this forum. Posting a "how do I do this " question as you first post is a dead give-away.

However, since you already posted, look up the command "last", "finger", "who" and also "wc".

Please read the FAQs for this site in the future.

Thanks and keep posting, but non-homework questions.

Smilie Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Three Questions

I just want to know Three questions: 1.what is the name of c++ compiler used in Linux/Unix (like gcc compiler used for c ).And please tell me how can i compile the program of c++. 2. I have Devloped a program of Database in C Under Linux/Unix Enviornment and now i want to add some graphics... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: at_renai2001
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

some questions...

hello. I'm fairly new to unix and have a few script writing questions for any experienced users. However, my computer is a mac so I need commands that will run in a macosx terminal. ok: q1) im writing a script where I want to get the history in the terminal and then write it to a specific text... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blip
9 Replies

3. Programming

C++ questions

1.) Let's say I have a list: apple1, apple2, apple3, apple4, apple5 Does anyone know how to display the txt file using c++? Does anyone know how to insert apple6 into the text file using link list and show the whole list including apple6? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bscot008
1 Replies

4. Programming

two questions

hey all, I have question when am writing simple shell... in the child am calling execvp, i want the parent to know when execvp returns - 1. how can i let the parent know the result of execvp thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with a few questions?

I am doing exam revision and I have this question can anybody help me answer it? Write the commands required to export a directory called /home/open from one machine and to mount it onto a directory called /home/something on another machine? I have done the usual google searchers but still not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thekinganelka
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

More ps questions.

Hey all, Thanks for all the help you have given me. Two more things I am trying to figure out. I need to issue a command..example ps -ef | grep <process> This would return about 10-15 running processes. I need to verify that there are x amount of processes running. What is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
7 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

8. Solaris

need questions

Hi, Could anyone provide questions or download link for 1Z0-877/878 exam as i would like to get 1Z0-877 certification which is useful for my carrier. Thanks, (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
0 Replies
SAFE_FINGER(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    SAFE_FINGER(8)

NAME
safe_finger - finger client wrapper that protects against nasty stuff from finger servers SYNOPSIS
safe_finger [finger_options] DESCRIPTION
The safe_finger command protects against nasty stuff from finger servers. Use this program for automatic reverse finger probes from the tcp_wrapper (tcpd) , not the raw finger command. The safe_finger command makes sure that the finger client is not run with root privileges. It also runs the finger client with a defined PATH environment. safe_finger will also protect you from problems caused by the output of some finger servers. The problem: some programs may react to stuff in the first column. Other programs may get upset by thrash anywhere on a line. File systems may fill up as the finger server keeps sending data. Text editors may bomb out on extremely long lines. The finger server may take forever because it is somehow wedged. safe_finger takes care of all this badness. SEE ALSO
hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5), tcpd(8) AUTHOR
Wietse Venema, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands. Linux 21th June 1997 SAFE_FINGER(8)