Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Brand new user!
Top Forums Programming Brand new user! Post 29466 by Cloud9LS on Monday 7th of October 2002 11:33:57 AM
Old 10-07-2002
Tools Brand new user!

Hi everyone!!! Smilie
I just want to say that I'm a new user of Unix, about 6 weeks. I'm taking a Programming and Logic course at a school in New York State, and we use Unix to operate Emacs, our code editor. I'm also taking a course called Unix Operating System. To be perfectly honest, I don't really understand everything, but I'm having fun learning!!! For my Unix class, we have to write a paper on 5 Unix resources and tell how we think they will help the average user learn about the Unix Operating System. So far, I think this is a great site because I can read about other peoples' experiences, not just commands out of a textbook. Drop me a line, I would write to you, but I dont know how!! (Yet!!!!)

-Laura Smilie Smilie Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10 sys-unconfig issue (brand new user)

ok, Newbie here..... I just installed this solaris 10 for a class I'm taking. We couldn't figure out how to change the IP so we were told to just do it from the sys-uncofig process. Well, after I did that, I lost the GUI witch isn't all that bad cuz I want to learn the cli anyways, but I keep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moesays
1 Replies

2. Solaris

brand names

how to get the disks brand names? NIC brand names? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Totally brand new to CRON

hi there i am very new to the world of CRON. i would like to know from below the ground up how i can learn abouot cron. where the best tutorials lie. i have an assignment that requires i set up a cron job to download a price file. am i in control of where the price file is downloaded to? (eg to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzby
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Brand New Me

Hello all. Can someone help. I am a non-Unix person in everyway- I deal more with the company backups etc. I have been asked to start learning Unix and have been asked to get myself on a course and obtain material. I live in the Nottingham area in UK- can anyone suggest a good 3-5 day course -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WaqarShah
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

brand new user!.. Lost on BASH script writing

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have just gotten into writing bash scripts for a class, part of the assignment is to read and be able to tell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
4 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

What brand is your primary computer?

A poll is added. Please vote and share your experiences. :b: If you select option: Other Brand then please post the brand name (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoda
22 Replies
GETUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 GETUID(2)

NAME
getuid, geteuid - get user identity SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> uid_t getuid(void); uid_t geteuid(void); DESCRIPTION
getuid() returns the real user ID of the calling process. geteuid() returns the effective user ID of the calling process. When a normal program is executed, the effective and real user ID of the process are set to the ID of the user executing the file. When a set ID program is executed the real user ID is set to the calling user and the effective user ID corresponds to the set ID bit on the file being executed. ERRORS
These functions are always successful. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, 4.3BSD. NOTES
History In Unix V6 the getuid() call returned (euid << 8) + uid. Unix V7 introduced separate calls getuid() and geteuid(). SEE ALSO
getresuid(2), setreuid(2), setuid(2), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1993-07-23 GETUID(2)