Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Concate all lines into one.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concate all lines into one. Post 29323 by Perderabo on Thursday 3rd of October 2002 11:34:40 AM
Old 10-03-2002
Try these two commands:

tr -d "\n" < input > output
echo >> output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count lines - ignoring blank lines and commented lines

What is the command to count lines in a files, but ignore blank lines and commented lines? I have a file with 4 sections in it, and I want each section to be counted, not including the blank lines and comments... and then totalled at the end. Here is an example of what I would like my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concate the record

how i can bring this file into three records in my sample text file there are thre records new records always start with Data File ================================================== samle file ================================================= Data File:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboorkuma
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using nawk to concate the fields

I have the the following question: # cat report.lis | nawk -F: '{ if($0 ~ "^BE NO:") print "report_"$2".lis"}' :confused: .lisrt_ 111 .lisrt_ 111 .lisrt_ 222 .lisrt_ 222 .lisrt_ 333 .lisrt_ 333 # cat report.lis | nawk -F: '{ if($0 ~ "^BE NO:") print "report_" $2}' report_ 111 report_... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raychu65
2 Replies

4. Solaris

concate / stripes in solaris 8 to solaris 10

We did live upgrade from solaris 8 (primary boot environment) to 10 . Switching to alternative boot environment in solaris 10 succeeded but it gave disk error for our concat , strips & mirrors for existing mount points which are already in use . It advised to run fsck on these device. So I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concate 2 line into 1 line

Hi, 000732140470,DD,R,29.99 ,SOM=1 000732145376,DD,R,29.99 ,MOM=0,SOM=0 000732155320,DD,R,29.99 ,MOM=0 000732156860,DD,D,9.99 ,MOM=3,RNO=3,SOM=1 000732156921,DD,D,9.99 ,MOM=5,RNO=5,SOM=7 000732157461,DD,R,29.99 ,SOM=0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaskarbasak
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concate problem

Hello there, I am facing the following problem in string concate. I am returning a sql column value to a shell script variable . Now when I am trying to concate the variable with another string (string appears first) I am getting a space between the two concate. Example p is the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl XML, find matching condition and grep lines and put the lines somewhere else

Hi, my xml files looks something like this <Instance Name="New York"> <Description></Description> <Instance Name="A"> <Description></Description> <PropertyValue Key="false" Name="Building A" /> </Instance> <Instance Name="B"> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concate a string in awk

Hello Community, i have a litte Problem with concating a string in an awk command. val_arr=( $( cat myfile | awk ' NR==1 { name=$2} NR==3 { dateformat=$9 OFS $6 OFS $8 OFS $7 OFS $10} NR==4 { length=$8} NR==5 { progress=int($3) } END{print name,dateformat,length,progress}; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: demonking
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines to columns with awk, while inserting commas for missing lines

Hello all, I have a large csv file where there are four types of rows I need to merge into one row per person, where there is a column for each possible code / type of row, even if that code/row isn't there for that person. In the csv, a person may be listed from one to four times... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RalphNY
9 Replies
SYSTEM(3)								 1								 SYSTEM(3)

system - Execute an external program and display the output

SYNOPSIS
string system (string $command, [int &$return_var]) DESCRIPTION
system(3) is just like the C version of the function in that it executes the given $command and outputs the result. The system(3) call also tries to automatically flush the web server's output buffer after each line of output if PHP is running as a server module. If you need to execute a command and have all the data from the command passed directly back without any interference, use the passthru(3) function. PARAMETERS
o $command - The command that will be executed. o $return_var - If the $return_var argument is present, then the return status of the executed command will be written to this variable. RETURN VALUES
Returns the last line of the command output on success, and FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 system(3) example <?php echo '<pre>'; // Outputs all the result of shellcommand "ls", and returns // the last output line into $last_line. Stores the return value // of the shell command in $retval. $last_line = system('ls', $retval); // Printing additional info echo ' </pre> <hr />Last line of the output: ' . $last_line . ' <hr />Return value: ' . $retval; ?> NOTES
Warning When allowing user-supplied data to be passed to this function, use escapeshellarg(3) or escapeshellcmd(3) to ensure that users can- not trick the system into executing arbitrary commands. Note If a program is started with this function, in order for it to continue running in the background, the output of the program must be redirected to a file or another output stream. Failing to do so will cause PHP to hang until the execution of the program ends. Note When safe mode is enabled, you can only execute files within the safe_mode_exec_dir. For practical reasons, it is currently not allowed to have .. components in the path to the executable. Warning With safe mode enabled, the command string is escaped with escapeshellcmd(3). Thus, echo y | echo x becomes echo y | echo x. SEE ALSO
exec(3), passthru(3), popen(3), escapeshellcmd(3), pcntl_exec(3), backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group SYSTEM(3)