Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems Post 29168 by Perderabo on Tuesday 1st of October 2002 08:52:07 AM
Old 10-01-2002
Then one of your shutdown scripts is hanging. If you can still do a "ps -ef" you can probably figure out which one. Is that is not possible, you will need to add logging to each shutdown script to see how far you get.

Then you need to figure out why it's hanging and fix it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems

Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems I seem to have consistent problems shuting down whichever init state I use basically I get the following errors messages followed by a return to the prompt # shutdown -i6 -g0 -y Shutdown started. Tue Oct 1 09:47:03 BST 2002 Broadcast Message from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vviscomi
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to shutdown and start machine

Hello. I have just installed solaris on my PC (standalone). It allows to reboot. But IF I shut down and the restart by pressing the button - It does not show my solaris OS and I am then forced to perform fresh installation. Could you please let me know the fix for it - So that shutdown and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

unable to shutdown solaris 10

hi folks, i have a snag, when i attempt shutdown of solaris 10 on a sunfire v240 it seems to pause for ages, and goes no further, im busy learning my way around the system so please be patient. /etc(R)-bash-3.00$ init 6 /etc(R)-bash-3.00$ svc.startd: The system is coming down. Please wait.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienkidmj12
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Problems using shutdown -u command

I have a smart-ups connected to my OS X Snow Leopard server ver. 10.6. Based on the docs and forums I read, I have been trying to use the software provided by APC, PCNS. I have also tried to just use the UPS communications cable provided and use the OS' "UPS options". Neither of them work exactly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mckorn99
1 Replies

6. Solaris

RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out

while i trying to mount from NAS i have this messages mount -F nfs -o rw 172.16.110.13:/tremabkup /tremabkup nfs mount: 172.16.110.13: : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out nfs mount: retrying: /tremabkup nfs mount: 172.16.110.13: : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out nfs mount:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Error : "RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out"

Hello I am having an issue with a server SUN FIRE T2000 (Solaris 10). First of all the server didn't boot normaly so I did a full restoration of the file systems. Now the server boot, most of the services are available (not all the services), but I keep on seeing RPC: Rpcbind failure -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: feg
4 Replies

8. Solaris

RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out error (solaris)

C: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out error (solaris) hello an nfs server on my sun fire v440 is not responding , i get the error bellow and lots of my networking services are not reponding, please helppppp its an emergency RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out i also get NFS server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feg
2 Replies

9. Solaris

nfs mount: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out

Fails to mount the server (10.125.224.22) during installation of a software on client, throwing the below error: nfs mount: 10.125.224.22: : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out nfs mount: retrying: /cdrom This happened after complete shutdown of the lab. The server came up fine but most... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux SuSE SLES 8 error..unable to issue shutdown command

the only way we can power off is if we actually press power button on server. Running on HP DL-G4. from root, when we issue command it just returns to root prompt. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amexboy
1 Replies
shutdown(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      shutdown(1B)

NAME
shutdown - close down the system at a given time SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/shutdown [-fhknr] time [warning-message...] DESCRIPTION
shutdown provides an automated procedure to notify users when the system is to be shut down. time specifies when shutdown will bring the system down; it may be the word now (indicating an immediate shutdown), or it may specify a future time in one of two formats: +number and hour:min. The first form brings the system down in number minutes, and the second brings the system down at the time of day indicated in 24-hour notation. At intervals that get closer as the apocalypse approaches, warning messages are displayed at terminals of all logged-in users, and of users who have remote mounts on that machine. At shutdown time a message is written to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), containing the time of shutdown, the instigator of the shut- down, and the reason. Then a terminate signal is sent to init, which brings the system down to single-user mode. OPTIONS
As an alternative to the above procedure, these options can be specified: -f Arrange, in the manner of fastboot(1B), that when the system is rebooted, the file systems will not be checked. -h Execute halt(1M). -k Simulate shutdown of the system. Do not actually shut down the system. -n Prevent the normal sync(2) before stopping. -r Execute reboot(1M). FILES
/etc/rmtab remote mounted file system table ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fastboot(1B), login(1), halt(1M), reboot(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), rmtab(4), attributes(5) NOTES
Only allows you to bring the system down between now and 23:59 if you use the absolute time for shutdown. SunOS 5.10 11 Oct 1994 shutdown(1B)