Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems Post 29159 by MBGPS on Tuesday 1st of October 2002 04:49:51 AM
Old 10-01-2002
Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems

I seem to have consistent problems shuting down whichever init state I use

basically I get the following errors messages followed by a return to the prompt

# shutdown -i6 -g0 -y

Shutdown started. Tue Oct 1 09:47:03 BST 2002

Broadcast Message from root (pts/1) on hermione Tue Oct 1 09:47:04...
THE SYSTEM IS BEING SHUT DOWN NOW ! ! !
Log off now or risk your files being damaged

showmount: hermione: RPC: Program not registered
Changing to init state 6 - please wait
#
#

I have no ideas whats causing this can anyone help?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems

Help unable to shutdown- RPC problems I seem to have consistent problems shuting down whichever init state I use basically I get the following errors messages followed by a return to the prompt # shutdown -i6 -g0 -y Shutdown started. Tue Oct 1 09:47:03 BST 2002 Broadcast Message from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vviscomi
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to shutdown and start machine

Hello. I have just installed solaris on my PC (standalone). It allows to reboot. But IF I shut down and the restart by pressing the button - It does not show my solaris OS and I am then forced to perform fresh installation. Could you please let me know the fix for it - So that shutdown and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

unable to shutdown solaris 10

hi folks, i have a snag, when i attempt shutdown of solaris 10 on a sunfire v240 it seems to pause for ages, and goes no further, im busy learning my way around the system so please be patient. /etc(R)-bash-3.00$ init 6 /etc(R)-bash-3.00$ svc.startd: The system is coming down. Please wait.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienkidmj12
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Problems using shutdown -u command

I have a smart-ups connected to my OS X Snow Leopard server ver. 10.6. Based on the docs and forums I read, I have been trying to use the software provided by APC, PCNS. I have also tried to just use the UPS communications cable provided and use the OS' "UPS options". Neither of them work exactly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mckorn99
1 Replies

6. Solaris

RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out

while i trying to mount from NAS i have this messages mount -F nfs -o rw 172.16.110.13:/tremabkup /tremabkup nfs mount: 172.16.110.13: : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out nfs mount: retrying: /tremabkup nfs mount: 172.16.110.13: : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out nfs mount:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Error : "RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out"

Hello I am having an issue with a server SUN FIRE T2000 (Solaris 10). First of all the server didn't boot normaly so I did a full restoration of the file systems. Now the server boot, most of the services are available (not all the services), but I keep on seeing RPC: Rpcbind failure -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: feg
4 Replies

8. Solaris

RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out error (solaris)

C: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out error (solaris) hello an nfs server on my sun fire v440 is not responding , i get the error bellow and lots of my networking services are not reponding, please helppppp its an emergency RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out i also get NFS server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feg
2 Replies

9. Solaris

nfs mount: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out

Fails to mount the server (10.125.224.22) during installation of a software on client, throwing the below error: nfs mount: 10.125.224.22: : RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out nfs mount: retrying: /cdrom This happened after complete shutdown of the lab. The server came up fine but most... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux SuSE SLES 8 error..unable to issue shutdown command

the only way we can power off is if we actually press power button on server. Running on HP DL-G4. from root, when we issue command it just returns to root prompt. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amexboy
1 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - reboot the system SYNOPSIS
time] message] time] message] DESCRIPTION
The command terminates all currently executing processes except those essential to the system, then reboots the system, or halts, or makes the partition ready for reconfiguration. When invoked without arguments, syncs all disks before rebooting the system. Options The command recognizes the following options: Shut down the system and halt. Shut down the system and reboot automatically (default). Shut down the system to a ready-to-reconfigure state and reboot if possible. If the partition is unable to reboot, it will stop at a ready-to-reconfigure state. However, if the option is also specified, the system will always stop at ready-to-reconfigure state. This option is available only on systems that support hardware partitions. Shut down the system to a ready-to-reconfigure state and do not reboot. This option can be used only in combination with the option. This option is available only on systems that support hardware partitions. Do not sync the file systems before shutdown. The and options are ignored with this option. Sync the file systems before shutdown; for file systems that were cleanly mounted, modify the flag from to (default). Quick and quiet. Suppress broadcast of warning messages, terminate processes by brute force (with and immediately call with arguments as indicated by the other options (see reboot(2)). No logging is performed. The and options are ignored with this option. Specify what time will bring the system down. time can be the word (indicating immediate shutdown) or a future time in one of two for- mats: and The first form brings the system down in number minutes; the second brings the system down at the time of day indicated (based on a 24-hour clock). Display message at the terminals of all users on the system at decreasing intervals as reboot time approaches. The message must not contain any embedded double quotes. At shutdown time a message is written in the file (if it exists), containing the time of shutdown, who ran and the reason. Only users with appropriate privileges can execute the command. WARNINGS
does not invoke the shutdown scripts associated with subsystems to bring them down in a cautious manner. See shutdown(1M). If the option is used in a virtual partition environment on a partitionable system, then the requested reconfiguration will not take place until all the virtual partitions on that hard partition are shut down and the virtual partition monitor is rebooted. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
Shutdown log SEE ALSO
vpartition(1), reboot(2), partition(5). reboot(1M)