Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 8mm tape drive I/O error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 8mm tape drive I/O error Post 29157 by geoquest on Tuesday 1st of October 2002 01:49:58 AM
Old 10-01-2002
Data 8mm tape drive I/O error

hello,

I don't know what exactly the cause and the solution!!

suddenly I receive this error message when I want to use the 8mm tape drive

"I/O write error"

I disconnect the tape drive and I hook it in another WS and I receive this error :-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ct 1 01:46:20 omjs24 scsi: WARNING: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3,1/st@4,0 (st11):
tar: write error: I/O error
omjs24# Oct 1 01:46:20 omjs24 Error for Command: write Error
Level: Fatal
Oct 1 01:46:20 omjs24 scsi: Requested Block: 308 Error
Block: 308
Oct 1 01:46:20 omjs24 scsi: Vendor: EXABYTE Seria
l Number:
Oct 1 01:46:20 omjs24 scsi: Sense Key: Media Error
Oct 1 01:46:20 omjs24 scsi: ASC: 0x3 (<vendor unique code 0x3>), ASCQ: 0x2,
FRU: 0x0
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried this with tar /dev/rmt/1n * <-- with no option

what could be the problem!!!!!!!!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

help installing Sun 8mm unipack scsi tape drive

Hi all, please help I am stuck. I have installed a external unipack scsi tape drive. The tape drive is Exabyte Eliant 820. All I did was connected scsi cable and power it on. When issued "probe-scsi-all" command, the tape is correctly identified. However, when issued "dmesg | more" command, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennis
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tape Drive error

I have a hp d 350 running on 10.2,im having a problem with the dds2 tape drive whenever i tried backing up larger files...i have remove the tape driver and add it using sam again but still the tape drive is not working .....is there a solution to this problem? # tar cvf /dev/rmt/0m priso.ds a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giriplug
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Error After Installing Tape Drive

Hi, I am a newbie to Solaris, I have a SunFire V120 box, i was trying to install a tape drive(HP SureStore DAT24), i did the install in this manner. # rm -rf /etc/path_to_inst # init 6 later at the "ok" prompt i gave "boot -ar" after doing that it asked me various options i accepted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajendra.rait
2 Replies

4. SCO

back-up drive : tape error

i have an ibm machine with dds4 drive running sco. i bought new hp dds4 tape for my back-up. the new tapes are not being read by the system, it says tape error, no such device. i've already clean the drive several times but still the same error occur. i've tried to use the same tape on our windows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yackim
3 Replies

5. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Hard Error:DAT Tape Drive

Well I have just added new tape drive to my server (lto) However I am getting few errors in using it. I have checked status with #iostat -En : giving me few hard errors, few soft errors and execution error. Also tape status is not visible as "no sense" its coming as "no additional sense". I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

7. AIX

Copying to tape drive throws error

Hi All I am trying to copy files present in a partition (server 2) which is mounted to a different server (server 1) as tape drive is connected to it. I ran the below command to copy files within a partition: svr01:root:/sunfileserver> tar -cvf * a <foldername>/<filename>/<filename> a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vathsan
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

DLT 7000 tape drive failing with "write error on a record in the index"

HP rp5450 (L2000) running HP-UX 11.11B Using DLT 7000 and DLT 4000 tape drives for nightly full backups Backup jobs created by SAM DLT 7000 cron entry is as follows: 00 2 * * 1-6 /usr/sam/lbin/br_backup DLT FULL Y /dev/rmt/0m /var/sam/graphLCAa17036 root Y 1 N > /var/sam/SAM_br_msgs 2>&1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreh99
1 Replies
mt(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mt(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape manipulating program SYNOPSIS
tapename] command [count] Obsolescent tapename] command [count] DESCRIPTION
is used to give commands to the tape drive. If tapename is not specified, the environment variable is used; if is not defined, the default drive is used. winds the tape in the requested direction (forward or backward), stopping after the specified count EOF marks or records are passed. If count is not specified, one is assumed. Each EOF mark counts as one record. When winding backwards, the tape always stops at the BOT marker, regardless of the number remaining in count. accepts the following commands: Write count EOF marks. Forward space count files. Forward space count records. Backward space count files. Backward space count records. Rewind tape. Rewind tape and go offline. Seek to end of data (DDS and QIC drives only). Write count setmarks (DDS drives only). Forward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Backward space count setmarks (DDS drives only). Print status information about the tape drive. Reserve tape drive for sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Release tape drive from sole use by the host issuing the command (stape or estape driver only). Spacing operations (back or forward space file or record) leave the tape positioned past the object being spaced to in the direction of motion. That is, backspacing a file leaves the the tape positioned before the file mark, forward spacing a file leaves the tape positioned after the file mark. This is consistent with all classical usage on tapes. WARNINGS
Only raw, no-rewind Berkeley-type devices should be specified. This type of device will not reposition the tape upon close. An example of such a device is or See mt(7) for more details. It is possible to wind the tape beyond the EOT marker and off the end of the reel. A reservation may only be cleared with a release by the host that issued the original reserve. In the event that the host that holds the reservation is no longer available, the command may be used to reclaim the device by issuing a bus device reset. See st(1M) for more details. The reserve/release functionality can only be issued to drives using the or driver. EXAMPLES
Rewind the tape associated with the device file or (if legacy DSF is disabled): FILES
Raw magnetic tape interface (stape) Raw magnetic tape interface (estape) Default tape interface. If legacy DSF is disabled, the default value is AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
dd(1), st(1M), intro(7), mt(7). mt(1)