Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create a New telnet User?!
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Create a New telnet User?! Post 29034 by RTM on Friday 27th of September 2002 03:37:56 PM
Old 09-27-2002
First, you need to know what you are running - UNIX or Linux. There are differences. Do a uname -a from the command prompt to find out.

Next, if you have root access, use the admin tool to add users (the command to start the GUI is different on each OS which is why you needed to specify).

Or you can edit the passwd (and possibly shadow) file manually. All up to the individual.

Oh, and you can search this site for info on adding users - and any user can normally use telnet - a service is shut off or turned on normally for all - not as much for specific users.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I create user but i cant login the user i created.

I created a user, i login as a root. I add him in the group where he can access and login as a root! I checked it in users' list and in group's list, he is there. My problem is this, I cant login using the username/account I just created! What should i do to use and login the user/account i've just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome
5 Replies

3. Linux

How to Enable TELNET for root user

How to Enable TELNET for root user in Linux. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi_13
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Do I Use Telnet To Create A Website?

Hi, I'll like to find out how can I go about creating a website through Telnet on my Computer? Can you help me please:( (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kprescod4158
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

telnet for a user

Hi, we are on RED HAT linux: $uname -a Linux myserver.domain.com 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Aug 17 18:00:32 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux The only user that can connect in telnet is root. How can I authorize another users to do telnet ? Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Create a shell script to test the telnet connection status

Hi friends, I'm newbie to shell script. I wanted to create a shell script which able to write a result for all the telnet connection status. For example, from this machine I want to test the telnet connection (total 100+ servers) with this machine. Any idea how to write this shell script?... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: yhcheong
16 Replies

7. Solaris

Disable telnet for a particular user

On Solaris 8 is there anyway to disable telnet for a particular user and not for entire system altogether? I would like the user to retain a shell and so creating a noshell like ftp account is not an option. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: boshyd
14 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies
TELNET-PROBE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   TELNET-PROBE(1)

NAME
telnet-probe - lightweight telnet-like port probe SYNOPSIS
$PCP_BINADM_DIR/telnet-probe [-c] [-v] host port DESCRIPTION
telnet-probe allows the pmdashping(1) daemons to establish connections to arbitrary local and remote service-providing daemons so that response time and service availability information can be obtained. The required host and port number arguments have the same meaning as their telnet(1) equivalents. The -c option causes telnet-probe to perform a connect(2) only. This skips the read(2) and write(2) exercise that would otherwise be done after connecting (see below). The -v option causes telnet-probe to be verbose while operating. Once the telnet connection has been established, telnet-probe reads from stdin until end-of-file, and writes all the input data to the tel- net connection. Next, telnet-probe will read from the telnet connection until end-of-file, discarding whatever data it receives. Then telnet-probe exits. To operate successfully, the input passed via telnet-probe to the remote service must be sufficient to cause the remote service to close the connection when the last line of input has been processed, e.g. ending with ``quit'' when probing SMTP on port 25. By default telnet-probe will not produce any output, unless there is an error in which case a diagnostic message can be displayed (in ver- bose mode only) and the exit status will be non-zero indicating a failure. PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). DIAGNOSTICS
If telnet-probe succeeds, then 0 will be returned. If the attempt to establish a connection fails or is terminated, then a non-zero exit status is returned. SEE ALSO
PCPintro(1), pmdashping(1), pmie(1), telnet(1), connect(2), read(2) and write(2). Performance Co-Pilot PCP TELNET-PROBE(1)