Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hdparm standby
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory hdparm standby Post 28894 by Esaia on Thursday 26th of September 2002 03:52:40 AM
Old 09-26-2002
hdparm standby

Hi!
I have a harddrive that I use in school.
I allso wanna use it at home...
It's built into a 5.25" rack, and is non-hotswap.

My rack has a power key wich I can use to unpower the device.

My question is, does the drive take damage if I just umount and run hdparm -y <dev> on it?

1. umount <dev>
2. hdparm -y <dev>
3. unpower
4. release.

I guess it does Smilie cus fsck.ext3 runs at start up=)

Anybody else who got an idea?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

hacmp 5.3 primary and standby?

Hi All, How do I determine if a hacmp 5.3 server is a primary or a standby? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

2. AIX

Monitor goes into standby

On a IBM AIX 4.3.3 OS monitor goes into standby after a certain period of time. Where should i look to disable monitor power management ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: A_L_E_X
7 Replies

3. Solaris

ifconfig primary & standby purpose

I have two ethernet interfaces nge0 and nge1. An IP assigned on nge0 is 10.10.10.1/24 and on nge1 is 20.20.20.1/24. I want to make nge0 as primary interface. My question here is, 1. Being nge0 as primary interface, if I ping to an IP 20.20.20.5, what will happen? 2. If the answer for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
4 Replies

4. Solaris

IPMP active-standby configuration

Hi All, Need your help to explaining why when i configure 2 interface IPMP active-standby appear, INACTIVE and DEPRECATED parameter, detail screen shoot as below : root@machine01 # ifconfig -a e1000g0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 7 inet... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wong_Cilacap
6 Replies

5. AIX

Servers state STANDBY in HMC v7

We have 2 p520 aix6.0 installed server. Both the server in cluster. and managed by HMC v7 both servers have rebooted due to power outage. Now both server state is STANDBY in HMC. I am unable to login or ping to that servers. Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reyazan
5 Replies

6. AIX

SEA to standby

hello, what will happen if i try to move sea of my 1 vio server to standby( using chdev command), when sea of other vio server is already in standby mode? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amvineeth
1 Replies
UMOUNT.NFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     UMOUNT.NFS(8)

NAME
umount.nfs, umount.nfs4 - unmount a Network File System SYNOPSIS
umount.nfs dir [-fvnrlh ] DESCRIPTION
umount.nfs and umount.nfs4 are a part of nfs(5) utilities package, which provides NFS client functionality. umount.nfs4 and umount.nfs are meant to be used by the umount(8) command for unmounting NFS shares. This subcommand, however, can also be used as a standalone command with limited functionality. dir is the directory on which the file system is mounted. OPTIONS
-f Force unmount the file system in case of unreachable NFS system. -v Be verbose. -n Do not update /etc/mtab. By default, an entry is created in /etc/mtab for every mounted file system. Use this option to skip delet- ing an entry. -r In case unmounting fails, try to mount read-only. -l Lazy unmount. Detach the file system from the file system hierarchy now, and cleanup all references to the file system as soon as it is not busy anymore. -h Print help message. NOTE
For further information please refer nfs(5) and umount(8) manual pages. FILES
/etc/fstab file system table /etc/mtab table of mounted file systems SEE ALSO
nfs(5), umount(8), AUTHOR
Amit Gud <agud@redhat.com> 6 Jun 2006 UMOUNT.NFS(8)