Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New www.unix.com search
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators New www.unix.com search Post 28621 by Neo on Friday 20th of September 2002 07:09:56 PM
Old 09-20-2002
OK, I changed it to 2 letters and the searches did not work and no results were returned. So, I changed it back to three.

Guess two letter searches just kill the database....

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

www.unix.com

Of late, when i start www.unix.com my system is going to 100% CPU and takes lot of time to get the information. I think this is happening after adding the graphics on the page. Has anyone seen this problem..Sorry to post this here.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssow
6 Replies

2. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

scripts/programs/code posted to www.unix.com

Every now and then our users post complete programs to this site. It is especially important that these contributions don't get lost, so I will collect them here. Some of these programs are intended to demonstrate a programming technique and some are ready to run. As a guideline, the code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Access to https://www.unix.com/source?

Folks, Hope this is not a newbie question, but it might end up being that. I wanted to retrieve the source code for unix_linux_bench as directed on https://www.unix.com/linux-benchmarks/11175-instructions-linux-benchmarks.html When one clicks on the links specified for download, the browser... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagdalule
1 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Problem connecting to www.unix.com

I've been having a problem connecting to the forum. I know it is just something with my computer but I have no idea what it is. It started last week. Every time I connect I get this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> - <rss version="2.0"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vi-Curious
2 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Www.UNIX.com is slow today ???

Hi, Just wanting to know if there is any issues today with the site. Initially I thought it is my internet connection or computer but regardless which one I use, the site has been slow and it is also not showing with the right fonts etc. I've been trying for the last 12+ hours and it's always been... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
21 Replies
XrmQGetSearchList()													       XrmQGetSearchList()

Name
  XrmQGetSearchList - return a list of database levels.

Synopsis
  Bool XrmQGetSearchList(database, names, classes,
	    list_return, list_length)
	  XrmDatabase database;
	  XrmNameList names;
	  XrmClassList classes;
	  XrmSearchList list_return;
	  int list_length;

Arguments
  database  Specifies the database to be searched.

names     Specifies a list of resource names.

classes   Specifies a list of resource classes.

list_return
	    Returns  a	search	list  for  further use.  The caller must allocate sufficient space for the list before calling XrmQGetSearch-
	    List().

list_length
	    Specifies the number of entries (not the byte size) allocated for list_return.

Returns
  True if list_return was large enough for the search list, else False.

Description
  XrmQGetSearchList() is a tool for searching the database more efficiently.  It is used in combination with XrmQGetSearchResource().  Often,
  one  searches  the  database for many similar resources which differ only in their final component (e.g., xmh.toc.foreground, xmh.toc.back-
  ground, etc).  Rather than looking for each resource in its entirety, XrmGetSearchList searches the database for the	common	part  of  the
  resource  name,  returning  a whole list of items in the database that match it.  This list is called the search list.  This search list is
  then used by XrmQGetSearchList(), which searches for the last components one at a time.   In this way, the common  work  of  searching  for
  similar resources is done only once, and the specific part of the search is done on the much shorter search list.

XrmQGetSearchList()  takes  a list of names and classes and returns a list of database levels where a match might occur.  The returned list
  is in best-to-worst order and uses the same algorithm as XrmGetResource() for determining precedence.  If list_return was large enough  for
  the search list, XrmQGetSearchList() returns True.  Otherwise, it returns False.

The size of the search list that must be allocated by the caller is dependent upon the number of levels and wildcards in the resource spec-
  ifiers that are stored in the database.  The worst case length is 3n , where n is the number of  name  or  class  components	in  names  or
  classes.

Only the common prefix of a resource name should be specified in the name and class list to XrmQGetSearchList().  In the example above, the
  common prefix would be xmh.toc.  However, note that XrmQGetSearchResource() requires that name represent a single component  only.   There-
  fore, the common prefix must be all but the last component of the name and class.

For more information, see Volume One, Chapter 13, Managing User Preferences.

Structures
  XrmDatabase is a pointer to an opaque data type.

typedef XrmQuarkList XrmNameList;
     typedef XrmQuarkList XrmClassList;
     typedef XrmQuark	  XrmRepresentation;

XrmSearchList is a pointer to an opaque data type.

See Also
  XrmDestroyDatabase(),  XrmGetFileDatabase(),	XrmGetResource(),  XrmGetStringDatabase(), XrmInitialize(), XrmMergeDatabases(), XrmParseCom-
  mand(), XrmPutFileDatabase(), XrmPutLineResource(), XrmPutResource(), XrmPutStringResource(),  XrmQGetResource(),  XrmQGetSearchResource(),
  XrmQPutResource(),  XrmQPutStringResource(), XrmQuarkToString(), XrmStringToBindingQuarkList(), XrmStringToQuarkList(), XrmStringToQuark(),
  XrmUniqueQuark().

Xlib - Resource Manager 												       XrmQGetSearchList()