Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CD Writers
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers CD Writers Post 28544 by merlin on Thursday 19th of September 2002 07:18:12 PM
Old 09-19-2002
When you get Solaris 8, you get a whole bunch of CD's with extra stuff (well 2 or 3) it's in the compian (CD with extra programs). When you invoke the installer, then go through the selection for installation you'll be shown what apps it'll be installing.

Don't try and install it from JUST the CD without starting the installer. I've tried it and couldn't get it to work. Just start the installer then install it. If you want install the rest of the programs to.

Once done type 'which cdrw' at the command line and it'll tell you where it is. Should be off top of my head /usr/sbin or /usr/bin one of those two I'm pretty sure.

Just a hint thoug for when you get it running you'll also need to use the mkisofs command. This is how I would burn a program with this method;

mkisofs -r filename filename.tar | cdrw -i -O

That command would make the following files into ISO format the put the out put to the cdrw program. Option -i burns the CD at the burners speed otherwise it burns at x4 (I think) the -O (not zero) leave the CD open incase you want to add to it later. If you get it going and need a little more help let me know.

Also I use the cdrw program,

A: Because I like it
B: I work with security stuff sometimes, and burning with mkisofs and using cdrw to burn is good. It makes the format of the CD so it can only be read with UNIX/Linux (Think linux). This is good incase someone tried to get the CD and doesn't know what is on it. If it goes into a Windows machine it will think the CD is empty due to the format Smilie

Smilie
merlin

AHA152X_CS(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						     AHA152X_CS(4)

NAME
aha152x_cs - Adaptec AHA-152X compatible PCMCIA device driver SYNOPSIS
insmod aha152x_cs.o [pc_debug=n] [irq_list=i,j,...] [host_id=n] [reconnect=n] [parity=n] [synchronous=n] [reset_delay=n] [ext_trans=n] DESCRIPTION
aha152x_cs is the low-level Card Services driver for various PCMCIA SCSI adapters that are compatible with the Adaptec AHA-152X host adapter. These include the New Media Bus Toaster, the Adaptec AHA-1460, and various other OEM cards. PARAMETERS
pc_debug=n Selects the PCMCIA debugging level. This parameter is only available if the module is compiled with debugging enabled. A non-zero value enables debugging. irq_list=i,j,... Specifies the set of interrupts that may be allocated by this driver. host_id=n Specifies the SCSI ID of the host adapter. The default host ID is 7. reconnect=n Enables support for disconnect/reconnect, if non-zero. The default is 1 (true). parity=n Enables SCSI parity checking. The default is 1 (true). synchronous=n Enables negotiation of synchronous SCSI transfers. The default is 0 (false). reset_delay=n Specifies a delay for SCSI bus resets, in 10 millisecond intervals. The default is 100. ext_trans=n Enables the ``extended translation'' scheme for partition tables of drives larger than 1 GB. AUTHOR
David Hinds - dahinds@users.sourceforge.net SEE ALSO
cardmgr(8), pcmcia(5). pcmcia-cs 2000/06/12 21:24:47 AHA152X_CS(4)