Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User Copy
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users User Copy Post 28519 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 19th of September 2002 01:43:01 PM
Old 09-19-2002
I would use tar. and then ftp over to the other box or rcp if you have that capability.

tar -cfv home.tar /home

You will also have to copy the user portion of the /etc/passwd file and the group file if you have any usual group GIDs.

Also, make sure that you have no conflict with duplicate UIDs on the new host.

Here is a link that talks about these changes.

https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?s...&highlight=tar

Just make sure you do all these things and you should be fine. I may have forgotten 1 or 2 small things but just try to port over any related config files like /etc/profile etc...

Smilie Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carbon Copy to exchange user

Hello, I am trying to send a message to few users on an exchange server. I would like to put few of them as CC. When I send it to myself and CC another user, I receive the e-mail and see the other e-mail address under CC but he doesn't receive the e-mail at all. Any ideas ? I am using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mclevy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i copy user permissions(privileges) to a group

Hey there I have a problem and i was hoping that you guys could help me out I want to copy a user privileges to a group and i need to copy all privileges(Recursively) every directory with all its sub directories and I tried some solution and it did not work. I used the following command:- ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is in-core copy and disk-copy of i-node table?

I have found a question from the exercises of my study mat. The question is "Why are there a in-core copy and a disk-copy of i-node block and super block?" If any one know the proper answer then please send me..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dearanik
1 Replies

4. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy User home folders to mounted windows share

First of all, let me state that I am a windows admin. I have a windows share mounted to /mnt/server I need a script that will either login as sudo or perform commands with sudo rights. I need the script to copy all of the users /home folders to the mounted windows share. Now If I can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EricM
7 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Copy numerous private Samba-shares as one user. (Syntax question)

Hello Forum, I was overwhelmed by how fast and correct the responses to my first question in this forum was, and I hope I expreience this again today. The reason is that I have to copy a fileserver (Ubuntu 8.04 32 with Samba) to another server via Internet within tomorrow. I have no problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: primaxx
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Separate the apache user file and move or copy some were

Hi all, I'm Using Centos 6.4 /opt/my_aplication/entry/data/0/ There are Thousands of files in this Directory, Only i need to copy or move the apache User's file from this to /tmp/backup , I have listed apache user's file using find . -user apache -type f , its gave me the only apache... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
2 Replies

9. AIX

How to copy user policy from a server to another one?

Hi I would like to copy some user policy ( such as login time out , password expired time, number of failed login before user is locked, ... ) from one server to another server. I had copied necessary files ( in /etc and /etc/security ) to new server, but something didn't work. I guess that... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
13 Replies
Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3)

NAME
Net::Server::Proto::UNIX - Net::Server UNIX protocol. SYNOPSIS
See Net::Server::Proto. DESCRIPTION
Protocol module for Net::Server. This module implements the UNIX SOCK_STREAM socket type. See Net::Server::Proto. Any sockets created during startup will be chown'ed to the user and group specified in the starup arguments. PARAMETERS
The following paramaters may be specified in addition to normal command line parameters for a Net::Server. See Net::Server for more information on reading arguments. unix_type Can be either SOCK_STREAM or SOCK_DGRAM (default is SOCK_STREAM). This can also be passed on the port line (see Net::Server::Proto). However, this method is deprecated. If you want SOCK_STREAM - just use proto UNIX without any other arguments. If you'd like SOCK_DGRAM, use the new proto UNIXDGRAM. METHODS
NS_unix_path/NS_unix_type In addition to the standard NS_ methods of Net::Server::Proto classes, the UNIX types also have legacy calls to NS_unix_path and NS_unix_type. Since version 2.000, NS_unix_path is simply an alias to NS_port. NS_unix_type is now redundant with NS_proto. These methods were missing between version 2.000 and 2.003 but have been returned as legacy bridges. QUICK PARAMETER LIST
Key Value Default # deprecated UNIX socket parameters unix_type (SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_DGRAM) SOCK_STREAM port "filename" undef # more recent usage port "filename / UNIX" port "filename / UNIXDGRAM" LICENCE
Distributed under the same terms as Net::Server perl v5.18.2 2012-06-06 Net::Server::Proto::UNIX(3)