Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: congrats & new forums
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators congrats & new forums Post 283 by Neo on Sunday 19th of November 2000 10:31:59 PM
Old 11-19-2000
The reason there is only one forum is that adding another forum complicates things. Right now, there is 'UNIX for Dummies'. If we add, UNIX, Advanced Topics (just one more) then what happens when 'UNIX for Dummies Questions' get posted in the 'Advanced UNIX' area? Or the other way?

Also having an advanced topic forum creates the problem of having problems with 'status'. People who answer in 'UNIX for Dummies' might not want to continue to participate in 'UNIX for Dummies' when they are active in 'UNIX for Advanced Users' (or something like that).

In other words, I don't think we are ready to fork another child forum just yet. Maybe later?

[Edited by Neo on 11-19-2000 at 10:42 PM]

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Congrats

I guess this is the most appropriate section for this post... Just wanted to give a big congrats to LivinFree for passing the 1000 post mark. Nice job! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PxT
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

congrats to zazzybob

i definitely want to thank and congratulate zazzybob on becoming a moderator in record time.. ZazzyBob you definitely have skills and hopefully they will continue to grow and spread... thanx for helping me out all those times moxxx68 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

3. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

How to Navigate in UNIX & Linux Forums..?

Hi , i am a new user to this forum can anyone please help me in navigation for this forum. also when i am trying to open any thread i am getting below error. Bad Request Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.] Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkchand
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Congrats to RudiC - 3000 Thanks!

Congratulations to RudiC for crossing the magic boundary of being thanked 3000 times! As someone who often has profited greatly from your insight i stand in awe before this achievement. Thank you for your ongoing dedication and thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge! bakunin ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
15 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Congrats to Nezabudka for her Formulator Badge (UserCP Prototype v0.40)

Please join me in thanking one of our most active new members, nezabudka, who suggested that we start using the new usercp prototype and change the menu items around, effectively "promoting" the new prototype CP. At first, I did not understand her suggestion, but after 'coming down" from days of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
GET_END(3)						     Library Functions Manual							GET_END(3)

NAME
get_end, get_etext, get_edata - get values of UNIX link editor defined symbols SYNOPSIS
#include <mach-o/getsect.h> unsigned long get_end(); unsigned long get_etext(); unsigned long get_edata(); DESCRIPTION
These routines provide a stopgap measure to programs that use the UNIX link-editor defined symbols. Use of these routines is very strongly discouraged. The problem is that any program that is using UNIX link editor defined symbols (_end, _etext or _edata) is making assumptions that the program has the memory layout of a UNIX program. This is an incorrect assumption for a program built by the Mach-O link editor. The reason that these routines are provided is that if very minimal assumptions about the layout are used and the default format and memory layout of the Mach-O link editor is used to build the pro- gram, some things may work by using the values returned by these routines in place of the addresses of their UNIX link-editor defined sym- bols. So use at your own risk, and only if you know what your doing. Or better yet, convert the program to use the appropriate Mach or Mach-O functions. If you are trying to allocate memory use vm_allocate(2), if you are trying to find out about your address space use vm_region(2) and if you are trying to find out where your program is loaded use the dyld(3) functions. The values of the UNIX link-editor defined symbols _etext, _edata and _end are returned by the routines get_etext, get_edata, and get_end respectively. In a Mach-O file they have the following values: get_etext returns the first address after the (__TEXT,__text) section, note this my or may not be the only section in the __TEXT segment. get_edata returns the first address after the (__DATA,__data) section, note this my or may not be the last non-zero fill section in the __DATA segment. get_end returns the first address after the last segment in the executable, note a shared library may be loaded at this address. SEE ALSO
ld(1), dyld(3) Apple Computer, Inc. April 10, 1998 GET_END(3)