Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating new shell in C
Top Forums Programming Creating new shell in C Post 2816 by Neo on Wednesday 6th of June 2001 11:52:42 AM
Old 06-06-2001
I thought PxT gave a very good reply on the high level requirements for a shell. Combined with a followup suggestion to review existing source code for shells is an excellent reply.

If anyone wants to followup with high-level requirements for a shell, or perhaps what a shell should do that current shells do not (based on network-centric models, perhaps?) that would be great!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on creating shell script

Can some one smart here help I need to create a shell script that does this below using vi editor. decrypts a file (specified as an argument to the script) containing text which was encrypted using the ROT-13 algorithm. The decrypted text should be written to a new file leaving the input file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: master_6ez
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating my first Shell Script

I have an assignment in my programming class to write a shell script that will use command line parameters, display the # of parameters, display all parameters on the command line and display the parameters $0-$9. I understand some of the code (I will be using 'n' to represent the count through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plmahan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating database in shell, how?!

Hi, i'm newbie in Unix. How can i create my own database in unix shell? Not to create a database through shell to MySql, oracle etc, but to create a completely mine database system through shell. Please help me, give me directions, i'm desperate :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vants
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script creating too many processes.

I have a shell script that I am running every 60 seconds, but it is creating this process to the point that it is causing the server to perfrom poorly. Below is my script, what can I change to prevent this? while true do java -classpath .....( all my classes here) >/dev/null 2>&1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miller_K
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Java or C for creating a unix shell?

Hi, Great to find this forum! I'm a complete newbie to unix, and am having a hard time finding my way around. Firstly, I've been reading something about c shell programming being one tenth the size of c programming done on unix.....I couldn't figure what that meant, but there were two... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdsd
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help creating a shell that generates another shell

hi all, i'm trying to create a shell script that browse files in a directory and generates another shell script based on these files. for ex: /tmp/files/ is the directory i want to browse and it has 2 files file1.sh and file2.sh. now my shell script should browse /tmp/files/ and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a command on a BASH shell

Hi all. Suppose I have the following function in an executable file named "HOLA": ------------------------ function hola { echo "Hola ${@}."; } ------------------------ In addition, suppose that I want to execute the file so I can input my name next to ./HOLA. I mean,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hresquivelo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating background process for my shell

I actually posted this problem on a different forum, but figured this would be a more appropriate place to post it. OK so I've created my own shell, but I can't get the background process function to run properly! What I want to do is to run a process in the background, and also print when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansel13
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script - creating users

echo -e "Enter in a username : \c" read username grep "^$username:" /etc/passwdWhat I'm trying to do is take in a username from my script and I need to be able to check if that username already exists. If it does the script should display a message saying that the user already exists and exit. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating arrays using shell

Hi, I need help in creating a array in shell scirpt. I have a file which has following details. hostname devices device1 device 2 de abcdmhs10 1234 2343 2353 3343 3435 2343 bcdfmhs11 2343 2443 3434 8874 0343 3434 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpkumar10
5 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change your login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [-s shell] [-l] [-u] [-v] [username] DESCRIPTION
chsh is used to change your login shell. If a shell is not given on the command line, chsh prompts for one. chsh is used to change local entries only. Use ypchsh, lchsh or any other implementation for non-local entries. OPTIONS
-s, --shell shell Specify your login shell. -l, --list-shells Print the list of shells listed in /etc/shells and exit. -u, --help Print a usage message and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. VALID SHELLS
chsh will accept the full pathname of any executable file on the system. However, it will issue a warning if the shell is not listed in the /etc/shells file. On the other hand, it can also be configured such that it will only accept shells listed in this file, unless you are root. EXIT STATUS
Returns 0 if operation was successful, 1 if operation failed or command syntax was not valid. SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(5), shells(5) AUTHOR
Salvatore Valente <svalente@mit.edu> AVAILABILITY
The chsh command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2009 CHSH(1)