Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep for the same occurrence or maybe Sed Post 28058 by photon on Thursday 12th of September 2002 12:25:14 AM
Old 09-12-2002
You are absolutely correct Optimus_P. I did
not even run my program. I did it slopy stile
when I was at work.

Here is a similar script, that runs.

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#By Photon
#

$file = 'data.txt' ;        
open(INFO, "$file" ) ;               
@lines = <INFO> ;                     
close(INFO) ;                         

$count = 0;
$num_line = 0;
foreach $line (@lines){

# Count the number of lines
	$num_line++; 

# Count consecutive lines with SYN                                    
	if ($line =~ m/SYN/){
		#print "$num_line\n";
                $count++;
        }else{ # Reset count
        	$count=0;
        }

# print out results of lines
        if ($count >= 3){
        	print "You have three or more consecutive lines at:\n";
        	print "\tLines : ";
        	$j = $num_line;
        	for ( $i = $count ; $i > 0 ; $i-- ) {
        		print "$j  ";
        		$j--;
        	}
        	print "\n";
        }

}

There is always room for improvement. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to substitute first occurrence

I am trying to get rid of some ending tags but I run into some problems. Ex. How are you?</EndTag><Begin>It is fine.</Begin><New> Just about I am trying to get rid of the ending tags, starts with </ and ending with >. (which is </EndTag> and </Begin>) I tried the following sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep usage - exit after first occurrence

Hi, Is there any way of using grep (this may be done in awk, not sure?) that I can stop grep'n a file once I have found the first occurrence of my search string. Looking through grep man pages -q will exit without printing the lines after the first match, but I need the output. I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line number of an occurrence using grep

Hi All, is there a way to extract the line number of an occurrence using grep? I know that with the -n option it prints out the line number as well. I would like to assign the line number to a variable. Thanks, Sarah (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep first occurrence but continue to next entry in patternfile

I have 1300 files (SearchFiles0001.txt, SearchFiles0002.txt, etc.) , each with 650,000 lines, tab-delimited data. I have a pattern file, with about 1000 lines with a single word. Each single word is found in the 1300 files once. If I grep -f PatternFile.txt SearchFiles*.txt >OutputFile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newhavendweeb
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep a specific amount of occurrence

hey , i m trying to figure out how to do the following : i got a text file the looks like so: 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 16500 16500 16500 16500 1031 1031 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying sed to only change last occurrence.

I'm using sed to switch integers (one or more digits) to the other side of the ':' colon. For example: "47593:23421" would then be "23421:47593". The way it functions right now, it is messing my settings file to use with gnuplot. The current command is: sed 's/\(*\):\(*\)/\2:\1/' out3 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed, last occurrence

How to find last occurrence of a keyword in a file using sed. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitution in first occurrence with sed

I have the following script: sed '/string1/,/string2/!d' infile I want to apply the script to the first occurrence only. I have tried sed '0,/string1/,/string2/!d' infile Of course, that does not work Any help will be greatly appreciated (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print from last occurrence match until the end of last occurrence match

Hi, i have file file.txt with data like: START 03:11:30 a 03:11:40 b END START 03:13:30 eee 03:13:35 fff END jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj START 03:14:30 eee 03:15:30 fff END ggggggggggg iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii I want the below output START (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jyotshna
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep util last occurrence

I have file contents /tmp/x/abc.txt /home/bin/backup/sys/a.log I need this output: /tmp/x/ /home/bin/backup/sys/ Can somebody please help me out Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
3 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)