Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers freeBSD Unix Administration... Post 28027 by auswipe on Wednesday 11th of September 2002 12:11:14 PM
Old 09-11-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by abidmalik
Thank Aus for very good explanation, Now what is x86 system you mention?
x86 generally refers to any Intel compatible processor...

386, 486, 586, 686, et cetera.

Quote:

when i give command uname it gives me following result,
is this x86 system.?

sunOS pyrite 5.6 Generic_105182-05 i86pc i386 i86pc

Yeah. You should be good to go.

Quote:

can i dual boot from windows and sun solaris if i will install solaris ?
Yes it is possible but I myself have never done it with XP and Solaris x86.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unix Administration doubts ********

Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct answers for these: 1. You have 4 instances running on the same UNIX box. How can you determine which shared memory and semaphores are associated with which instance? 2. How do you increase the OS limitation for open files (LINUX and/or Solaris)? Thanks:p (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are people using for Centralized Unix Administration

What are people using for Centralized Unix Administration? I'm not just talking user administration, I'm also talking system administration. I prefer a customized SSH enivonment that allows me to connect to server after server quickly to perform multiple tasks at once. I know there are products... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Information about Unix System Administration

I'm a newbie so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section... if I didn't, please forgive me :) I've been looking all over the web for information on system administration. I'd like to become a Unix System Administrator but I want to find some more info about the job. Can someone please... (54 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
54 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recommended book to learn about unix administration?

My knowledge is weak in understanding NIS servers, setting up user accounts, mounting network file systems, clearing stale NFS handles, those sorts of things that I encounter but my IT server team handles. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject? Something to demystify mount points,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srhadden
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Move From Unix Administration to Development???

Hi Guys, I am into unix administration past few years, i am interested in development, Purely from the Job Market View, should i shift from administration and move to development, will it reduce the options i have (i mean not many companies are into development) Suggestions/Opinions ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpdevul
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix administration commands

would like to know whether there are commands by which we can monitor these user activity 1) How many files are deleted by a user 2) How many files are FTP'ed by a user I am looking for commands in unix/Linux environment. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
3 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Just getting started with UNIX programming and administration

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and this is my very first post, one i think i will look back at many years from now and have nothing to regret about. This is simply because i recently installed Linux (Ubuntu) on my system and downloaded a book titled, The Unix Programming Environment. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: despiragado
7 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)