Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Personal Firewall
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Personal Firewall Post 2774 by marrow on Saturday 2nd of June 2001 08:32:52 PM
Old 06-02-2001
Question Personal Firewall

I recently install SuSE Linux 7.1 and I am trying to configure the personal firewall script. I followed the directions and at startup and it does not initialize. The docs said to edit two files: rc.config and firewall.rc.config. I only had to add "yes" to FW_START in rc.config and eth0 to FW_DEV_WORLD in firewall.rc.config.

It is supposed to run at start up. How do you run these manually to test?

TIA

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Personal Security

How can I be assured that my machine is secure against buffer overflows, remote packet sniffing, and brute force attacks? Why does the internet have to be so scary? Why can't we all just get along? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeTheGuy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a personal FTP

Ok guys, i dont need a detailed guide from you guys if you dont want to give me one, but i would appreciate maybe a link to a newb step by step guide on how to create your own ftp :) Thanks alot! Jason (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: gearshifter
19 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Download Free personal firewallls

Does anyone know where I can get free firewalls for windows XP PRO?:confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: computek
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Coloring personal text in vim

Hi, I want to color some personal text, such as my own name in vim editor. Can anyone tell me how this is done. Thanks, Sathya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skkrish2
1 Replies
STARTPAR(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       STARTPAR(8)

NAME
startpar - start runlevel scripts in parallel SYNOPSIS
startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] [-a arg] prg1 prg2 ... startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] -M [ boot|start|stop] DESCRIPTION
startpar is used to run multiple run-level scripts in parallel. The degree of parallelism on one CPU can be set with the -p option, the default is full parallelism. An argument to all of the scripts can be provided with the -a option. Processes blocked by pending I/O will cause new process creation to be weighted by the iorate factor 800. To change this factor the option -i can be used to specify another value. The amount weight=(nblockedxiorate)/1000 will be subtracted from the total number of processes which could be started, where nblocked is the number of processes currently blocked by pending I/O. The output of each script is buffered and written when the script exits, so output lines of different scripts won't mix. You can modify this behaviour by setting a timeout. The timeout set with the -t option is used as buffer timeout. If the output buffer of a script is not empty and the last output was timeout seconds ago, startpar will flush the buffer. The -T option timeout works more globally. If no output is printed for more than global_timeout seconds, startpar will flush the buffer of the script with the oldest output. Afterwards it will only print output of this script until it is finished. The -M option switches startpar into a make(1) like behaviour. This option takes three different arguments: boot, start, and stop for reading .depend.boot or .depend.start or .depend.stop respectively in the directory /etc/init.d/. By scanning the boot and runlevel direc- tories in /etc/init.d/ it then executes the appropriate scripts in parallel. FILES
/etc/init.d/.depend.boot /etc/init.d/.depend.start /etc/init.d/.depend.stop SEE ALSO
init(8) insserv(8). COPYRIGHT
2003,2004 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. 2007 SuSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Michael Schroeder <mls@suse.de> Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> Jun 2003 STARTPAR(8)