Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: backups in background
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users backups in background Post 27633 by RTM on Wednesday 4th of September 2002 01:54:45 PM
Old 09-04-2002
Kelam - the nohup isn't always needed. Running from the command line and backgrounding the job, you can exit without the job going away without the nohup.

Last login: Fri Aug 30 13:23:41 2002 from progserver
Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic February 2000
No mail.
Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic February 2000
medusa% sleep 600 &
[1] 10341
medusa% exit
medusa% logout
Connection to medusa closed.
medusa% ps -ef|grep sleep
tghunter 10341 1 0 13:49:16 ? 0:00 sleep 600

And on HP-UX 11.0 it lets you know about the job but if you exit anyway, it's still there (of course, root now owns it on HP - now I need to look into what other fun that can cause).

[unixops@isaac]:/export/home/unixops
$ sleep 600 &
[1] 20884
$ exit
You have running jobs
$ exit
logout
Connection closed by foreign host.
$ ps -ef|grep sleep
root 20814 1515 0 13:48:10 ? 0:00 /usr/bin/sleep 300

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Backups

I have been using the hostdump.sh backup script for over a year now and have recently run into a problem. I'm now getting the following error at the end of my jobs; /bin/mt -f: error fsf'ing tape. This script uses the native 'ufsdump'. So, I try to go back and read the last dump on the tape... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backups

When using hostdump.sh to backup a system I can do it fine. But how can I restore what I backuped up? :) Thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX backups

hi, how do we go for the BACK UPS on the UNIX box,using DLT tapes.i need to back up the stuff on the DLT tape. pls HELP:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saood
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backups.

Hello everyone my ? is about backups. I'am running SCO OS 505 and currently backing up the hole HD. Well the back up is taking too long and this is becoming a problem for the users since we are a 24-7 bussines, I whant stop backing up every thing on the HD. What are the most important files and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kikkin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring backups

okay.. pple.. say now i got an aix box. of course i could restore a backup done in aix environment. 1) now how about doing a restore from sun, hp from the aix box.? 2) can we install a sun, hp os into an aix box? 3) if (1) prohibits, then how about doing an sun, hp os installation on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Backups too CD

I've been handed the task of backing up some of our system files on a Solaris box. No probs. Zipped the logs that needed backing up but my superiors do not want it on tape, they want it spanned on CD's. The CD-Writer is available on a MS box. FTP'd the zipped logs across too the MS Machine but now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mccrack_2003
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Oracle 9i - Backups

Is there a way to backup an Oracle 9i database without the use of OEM and OMS? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adelsin
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX 6.1 Backups

Hello, I've got multiple AIX LPARs running on VIOS, within a blade environment. I need to dump a mksysb backup to backup rootvg and a couple of other volume groups. mksysb -i "destination"; works however I'd like to make sure its being done correctly. on the other volume groups, ive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollie01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backups using rsync

Hello all, I'm using nas4free as a SAN and am having troubles getting a backup of it's data to work properly. I've posted in the nas4free forums, but haven't received much help. Here is the code I'm using: #!/bin/sh {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpatino
1 Replies
EXPIRE_BACKUPS(1)						       S3QL							 EXPIRE_BACKUPS(1)

NAME
expire_backups - Intelligently expire old backups SYNOPSIS
expire_backups [options] <age> [<age> ...] DESCRIPTION
The expire_backups command intelligently remove old backups that are no longer needed. To define what backups you want to keep for how long, you define a number of age ranges. expire_backups ensures that you will have at least one backup in each age range at all times. It will keep exactly as many backups as are required for that and delete any backups that become redundant. Age ranges are specified by giving a list of range boundaries in terms of backup cycles. Every time you create a new backup, the existing backups age by one cycle. Example: when expire_backups is called with the age range definition 1 3 7 14 31, it will guarantee that you always have the following backups available: 1. A backup that is 0 to 1 cycles old (i.e, the most recent backup) 2. A backup that is 1 to 3 cycles old 3. A backup that is 3 to 7 cycles old 4. A backup that is 7 to 14 cycles old 5. A backup that is 14 to 31 cycles old Note If you do backups in fixed intervals, then one cycle will be equivalent to the backup interval. The advantage of specifying the age ranges in terms of backup cycles rather than days or weeks is that it allows you to gracefully handle irregular backup intervals. Imagine that for some reason you do not turn on your computer for one month. Now all your backups are at least a month old, and if you had specified the above backup strategy in terms of absolute ages, they would all be deleted! Specifying age ranges in terms of backup cycles avoids these sort of problems. expire_backups usage is simple. It requires backups to have names of the forms year-month-day_hour:minute:seconds (YYYY-MM-DD_HH:mm:ss) and works on all backups in the current directory. So for the above backup strategy, the correct invocation would be: expire_backups.py 1 3 7 14 31 When storing your backups on an S3QL file system, you probably want to specify the --use-s3qlrm option as well. This tells expire_backups to use the s3qlrm command to delete directories. expire_backups uses a "state file" to keep track which backups are how many cycles old (since this cannot be inferred from the dates con- tained in the directory names). The standard name for this state file is .expire_backups.dat. If this file gets damaged or deleted, expire_backups no longer knows the ages of the backups and refuses to work. In this case you can use the --reconstruct-state option to try to reconstruct the state from the backup dates. However, the accuracy of this reconstruction depends strongly on how rigorous you have been with making backups (it is only completely correct if the time between subsequent backups has always been exactly the same), so it's gener- ally a good idea not to tamper with the state file. OPTIONS
The expire_backups command accepts the following options: --quiet be really quiet --debug activate debugging output --version just print program version and exit --state <file> File to save state information in (default: ".expire_backups.dat") -n Dry run. Just show which backups would be deleted. --reconstruct-state Try to reconstruct a missing state file from backup dates. --use-s3qlrm Use s3qlrm command to delete backups. EXIT STATUS
expire_backups returns exit code 0 if the operation succeeded and 1 if some error occured. SEE ALSO
expire_backups is shipped as part of S3QL, http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/. COPYRIGHT
2008-2011, Nikolaus Rath 1.11.1 August 27, 2014 EXPIRE_BACKUPS(1)