Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installation Questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installation Questions Post 2762 by PxT on Friday 1st of June 2001 04:20:26 PM
Old 06-01-2001
Tons of info on installing Slackware here: http://www.slackware.com/install/

You can install Linux into a FAT partition (windows formatted) but it will be much slower than a native install. With the price of hard drives these days, I would recommend buying a cheap IDE drive to install Linux on unless you already have a spare partition on your Windows drive.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Three Questions

I just want to know Three questions: 1.what is the name of c++ compiler used in Linux/Unix (like gcc compiler used for c ).And please tell me how can i compile the program of c++. 2. I have Devloped a program of Database in C Under Linux/Unix Enviornment and now i want to add some graphics... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: at_renai2001
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

questions on gentoo iso installation

I'm a brand new Intro to Unix to student, and what I'm trying to do is install Gentoo Linux onto a Dell Latitude (currently w/ out any OS). I've already burned the iso to cd and am wondering... All the reading I'm doing is talking about partioning, since this dell won't be having a pre-existing OS,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frznmeatcicle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

some questions...

hello. I'm fairly new to unix and have a few script writing questions for any experienced users. However, my computer is a mac so I need commands that will run in a macosx terminal. ok: q1) im writing a script where I want to get the history in the terminal and then write it to a specific text... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blip
9 Replies

4. Solaris

installation of Solaris: installation bypasses network config.

hello solaris friends, I've tried installing Sun Solaris 10.0, but everytime it seems to bypass the network config. screen that looks similar to this...here's the url: http://www.hup.hu/old/images/hup/Solaris/Sol10beta7/9.png I'm able to install it all the way through but I get no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cadmiumgreen
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 flash installation - fatal error. Solaris installation program exited.

Not very helpful to say the least. Seems to read the flar file and go through the upgrade and then come up with this error. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)