Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to terminate a tail -f
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to terminate a tail -f Post 27145 by Perderabo on Wednesday 28th of August 2002 07:50:04 AM
Old 08-28-2002
I would not use "tail -f" in a script. But you could launch it in the background, save the pid of the background job, sleep for a while, then kill the background job.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate session on completing script

Hai all.. How do i terminate my telnet session automatically when my java applicatiion exits. i have a file run which executes my java application and takes care of all class and library path settings prior to the execution. I would like to terminate my session when my application exits. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepsteptom
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminate the process

In my system , there are a system user "cronusr" , it is mainly to run the crontab job in the database .Sometimes the cronjob process will be failure ( due to some reason ) so that many cronusr process are in the system , it affect other process in the system , I want to have a script that can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

terminate process

I want to have a script to terminate the system process that generated by user oracle_usr and have already processed for over 10 minutes , could suggest the script ? thx (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate process

We have a system user "oracle_usr" always run some process in the system , but sometimes , these processes will not stop automatically until we terminate the process , can suggest the method how to terminate the process that is run by "oracle_usr" and run over 10 minutes ? thx (5 Replies)
5 Replies

5. Programming

command to terminate

hi all how to terminate command eecution process. can you please show me the way thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Application terminate

OS : Solaris X86 gcc version 3.4.6 when i run my application, C with Motif application crashed and formed core. I collected the truss ouput. Incurred fault #6, FLTBOUNDS %pc = 0xFE8B35CD siginfo: SIGSEGV SEGV_MAPERR addr=0x00000275 Received signal #11, SIGSEGV siginfo:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminate a port connection

I have executed a command which has ports that have to be assigned. then I deleted the files. Now I need to reinstall the command. but it says the ports are not free How to terminate the port connections and reinstall in solaris unix ---------- Post updated at 09:07 PM ----------... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriki32
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate a process using shell script

Hi, I am writing a shell script to run a process and write the output of the process to a file. Inside program.sh: ./process.sh > tempfile .. open tempfile do the following But the problem is that process.sh is running indefinitely and program.sh is not executed completely. Can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreamgirl314
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate shell script after a specified time

I have a shell script that checks a file state.txt, deletes fit.bin if state.txt is empty. I cron this at 2am, I will want the script to stop by 8am irrespective of the value of state.txt, any ideas? #!/usr/bin/ksh while true; do if ] ; then echo else rm ~/fit.bin exit ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
8 Replies
GEARMANCLIENT.DOBACKGROUND(3)						 1					     GEARMANCLIENT.DOBACKGROUND(3)

GearmanClient::doBackground - Run a task in the background

SYNOPSIS
public string GearmanClient::doBackground (string $function_name, string $workload, [string $unique]) DESCRIPTION
Runs a task in the background, returning a job handle which can be used to get the status of the running task. PARAMETERS
o $function_name - A registered function the worker is to execute o $workload - Serialized data to be processed o $unique - A unique ID used to identify a particular task RETURN VALUES
The job handle for the submitted task. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Submit and monitor a background job The worker in this example has an artificial delay introduced to mimic a long running job. The client script periodically checks the status of the running job. <?php /* create our object */ $gmclient= new GearmanClient(); /* add the default server */ $gmclient->addServer(); /* run reverse client */ $job_handle = $gmclient->doBackground("reverse", "this is a test"); if ($gmclient->returnCode() != GEARMAN_SUCCESS) { echo "bad return code "; exit; } $done = false; do { sleep(3); $stat = $gmclient->jobStatus($job_handle); if (!$stat[0]) // the job is known so it is not done $done = true; echo "Running: " . ($stat[1] ? "true" : "false") . ", numerator: " . $stat[2] . ", denomintor: " . $stat[3] . " "; } while(!$done); echo "done! "; ?> The above example will output something similar to: Running: true, numerator: 3, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 6, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 9, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 12, denomintor: 14 Running: false, numerator: 0, denomintor: 0 done! SEE ALSO
GearmanClient::doNormal, GearmanClient::doHigh, GearmanClient::doLow, GearmanClient::doHighBackground, GearmanClient::doLowBackground. PHP Documentation Group GEARMANCLIENT.DOBACKGROUND(3)