Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Very simple question about changing PS1 variable at startup! Post 26896 by abidmalik on Sunday 25th of August 2002 11:36:18 PM
Old 08-26-2002
Question Very simple question about changing PS1 variable at startup!

Hello there !

I am new in this Unix world and just start learning Unix. I have very simple question about changing PS1 variable (Shell Prompt)
i have local.profile file in my working directory, i open in vi edit mode and add this line PS1="Hello:>" and i save that file.

I disconnected from system and connected back to see effect but failed. why ? i have C shell, Ksh and Sh , it should not show Hello:> at the system startup ?

Please help me what am i doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Abid Malik
NC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PS1 variable

I want to set my prompt to something more descriptive than a plain old $, so I set the PS1 variable as such: PS1="" Which changes the prompt correctly, but when I change directories, it does not update the prompt. So I tried this: PS1="`pwd`>" I get the same results when changing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting PS1 variable

Hi, I am trying to set my current prompt with the current directory iam working on by $PS1=$PWD but it is blank. please help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: papachi
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing a variable Question

I have a variable: $FILENAME = /XXXX/XXXX/XXXX/file.dat I want to set another variable that will give me this: $FILENAME2=filea.dat So basically i'm chopping up variable $FILENAME. Not sure cut will do this as i'm looking at different directories so the characther length may be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple assigning variable question

I know many will probably say go read some tutorials...I would like to say that I am. However, I need to know this for work and it needs to be done soon. In my script I have a while loop that reads a .tbl file of 4 columns and assigns them to variables a, b, c, d. Once in the loop i do ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: questionasker
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please explain below PS1 variable

please tell me what is "!" mean in below value of PS1 variable PS1='($PWD) !>' Thanks Sunny (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Unix Script - Changing Variable Question

This is a problem with basic Unix scripting. Thanks for looking! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Make a script that will compare 2 given directories and output those filenames that are in Directory 1 and not 2 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamhungry
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Help needed to have changing value to the command prompt string variable PS1

Hi, I am using git bash terminal window to do git operations. I have set the prompt string variable PS1 in the ~/.bashrc file as follows: export PS1=" " This is intended to show me the current git branch's name which is active as part of the prompt string. But, the problem is when I do a git... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting the PS1 variable

Hi i'm new to unix, can anyone assist in me setting the PS1 variable in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user@123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing PS1

I have coded PS1 as shown, producing the following result when writing on the command line ┌─ cdl └──╼ make tracepdf2d If I make an error in the command an ✗ is printed ┌─ ✗ cdl └──╼ ls-a ls-a: command not found My problem is that if I just press enter, I do not want to have the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Help changing the PS1 prompt in Solaris

Hi, I need help changing PS1 in Solaris. I tried this: MYPROMPT="> " PS1=$LOGNAME@$HOSTNAME:${PWD}$MYPROMPT (NOT SURE WHY IT'S HIGHLIGHTED HERE) export PS1 My problem is that $PWD is not working, when I get the prompt and I change directories, the prompt is not displaying the current... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: curiousmal
17 Replies
MREAD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MREAD(1)

NAME
mread - low level read (copy) an MSDOS file to Unix SYNOPSIS
mread [ -tnm ] msdosfile unixfile mread [ -tnm ] msdosfile [ msdosfiles... ] unixdirectory DESCRIPTION
In the first form, mread copies the specified MSDOS file to the named Unix file. The second form of the command copies multiple MSDOS files to the named Unix directory. Mread will allow the following command line options: t Text file transfer. Mread will translate incoming carriage return/line feeds to line feeds. n No warning. Mread will not warn the user when overwriting an existing file. m Preserve the file modification times. If the target file already exists, and the -n option is not in effect, mread asks whether or not to overwrite the file. MSDOS subdirectory names are supported with either the '/' or '' separator. The use of the '' separator or wildcards will require the names to be enclosed in quotes to protect them from the shell. The mcd command may be used to establish the device and the current working directory (relative to MSDOS), otherwise the default is A:/. SEE ALSO
mcd(1), mcopy(1), mtype(1), mwrite(1) BUGS
Unlike MSDOS, the destination directory may not be omitted. local MREAD(1)