Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers just starting! got some questions Post 25807 by killerserv on Tuesday 6th of August 2002 04:12:49 AM
Old 08-06-2002
according to many Unix books, host for similar could be a Telnet connection. If you have a telnet connection you may try to connect using the Username and the passwd provided. If you not too sure about this. Search the net for (shell accounts ) which will display some ISP's Free Shell. You may start with it. Or if you want to find for more adventerous way, you can install a Unix OS (Linux, SuSe, FreeBSD Etc. ) and start with it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting up

:confused: I have put together an old machine with a 386DX CPU (40MHz) with 8Mb of RAM and a 160Mb hard disk. One guy told me that its still suitable for UNIX. Can enyone give me some hints on how to start? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting X?

I just installed FreeBSD 4.5 and I want to find out how I can start and run X? When I boot I get taken to the command line. Xconfigurator doesn't want to work. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMDPwred
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

starting out in unix

i am trying to learn cgi script (perl), i think to do this i need to download a unix system,/acccount, which i have tried to do on XP without success. Can any one point me in the right direction on how i get started. i.e what do i need to do to actually write cgi script for my website. cheers... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rerkskin
4 Replies

4. Linux

Starting second X session

I've installed Fedora Core 2 on a machine on my home network. X Windows (GNOME) is set up and works correctly, when I log in from the console. However, when using Cygwin X from a different machine and trying to start an X session using startx it gives me the following error That makes sense... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Starting over

I am re-learning UNIX and want to download Unix to my lab for studying on the road. Any suggestions? Got several books, but need to run scripts :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DudeMan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Apache22 not starting

I am getting this error message once I added some lines to a directive in my httpd.conf file. I double checked and made sure their weren't any typos Snytax error line 468 Invlaid command PerlHandler perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration. Here is what I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbizzell
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

groups starting with c2?

I have some groups and when i issue a command like groups $LOGNAME it displays in one line rfautosys c2ru cash2 I want to fetch only group starting with c2 but when i grep i am getting full line. Can someone advise on this please as how i can get output as c2ru? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cronjob not starting

hello, i defined 2 cronjobs using putty on my 1und1-server */5 7-18 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/php4 .../script.php 30 19-6 * * 1-5 /usr/local/bin/php4 .../script.php the first runs monday to friday between 7-18 this one works fine the other one should run monday to friday between 19-6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jogisarge
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
CLUSTERDB(1)						  PostgreSQL Client Applications					      CLUSTERDB(1)

NAME
clusterdb - cluster a PostgreSQL database SYNOPSIS
clusterdb [ connection-options... ] [ --table | -t table ] [ dbname ] clusterdb [ connection-options... ] [ --all | -a ] DESCRIPTION
clusterdb is a utility for reclustering tables in a PostgreSQL database. It finds tables that have previously been clustered, and clusters them again on the same index that was last used. Tables that have never been clustered are not touched. clusterdb is a shell script wrapper around the backend command CLUSTER [cluster(7)] via the PostgreSQL interactive terminal psql(1). There is no effective difference between clustering databases via this or other methods. psql must be found by the script and a database server must be running at the targeted host. Also, any default settings and environment variables available to psql and the libpq front-end library do apply. clusterdb might need to connect several times to the PostgreSQL server, asking for a password each time. It is convenient to have a $HOME/.pgpass file in such cases. OPTIONS
clusterdb accepts the following command-line arguments: -a --all Cluster all databases. [-d] dbname [--dbname] dbname Specifies the name of the database to be clustered. If this is not specified and -a (or --all) is not used, the database name is read from the environment variable PGDATABASE. If that is not set, the user name specified for the connection is used. -e --echo Echo the commands that clusterdb generates and sends to the server. -q --quiet Do not display a response. -t table --table table Clusters table only. clusterdb also accepts the following command-line arguments for connection parameters: -h host --host host Specifies the host name of the machine on which the server is running. If host begins with a slash, it is used as the directory for the Unix domain socket. -p port --port port Specifies the Internet TCP/IP port or local Unix domain socket file extension on which the server is listening for connections. -U username --username username User name to connect as -W --password Force password prompt. DIAGNOSTICS
CLUSTER Everything went well. clusterdb: Cluster failed. Something went wrong. clusterdb is only a wrapper script. See CLUSTER [cluster(7)] and psql(1) for a detailed discussion of error messages and potential problems. Note that this message may appear once per table to be clustered. ENVIRONMENT
PGDATABASE PGHOST PGPORT PGUSER Default connection parameters. EXAMPLES
To cluster the database test: $ clusterdb test To cluster a single table foo in a database named xyzzy: $ clusterdb --table foo xyzzy SEE ALSO
CLUSTER [cluster(7)] Application 2002-11-22 CLUSTERDB(1)