Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Too many files to list / remove Post 25641 by RTM on Thursday 1st of August 2002 09:25:21 PM
Old 08-01-2002
Peter's quote:
Quote:
If you then want to remove old files...
find /path/directory/ -mtime +29 -exec ls {} \;
I believe he meant -exec rm {} \; . When testing this, I always put the ls instead of rm.

Another thought (I can't test it - none of my servers have that many files in one directory) is that Peter's -exec ls would give you a listing with no problem (it would not be ls -latr) but you would be able to see all the files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't list or remove files from a directory

Hi I have a problem. One of the directories in /var, on one of my servers, has filled up with loads of files. I have tried to list the directory to see what is in it, but the 'ls' command just hangs. Same thing happens when I try to use 'rm' to remove files from that directory. I can see what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_smith
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file and remove these files in multiple directories

I have a large list of filenames from an Excel sheet, which I then translate into a simple text file. I'd like to use this list, which contains various file extensions , to archive these files and then remove them recursively through multiple directories and subdirectories. So far, it looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a value from a string list...

I have something a bit tricky here and not sure how to go about fixing it. I am doing a ls on a directory to obtain a list of databases within a directory and assigning it to a string as you can see from below. The problem is there is a folder in there called apache. I do not want this to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove characters from list of files

done some homework on this-- after i remove up to and including the ) i want to take newfile.txt and use that list to remove the files from a file in my the directory pwd i have a input.txt file cat input,txt 1)mary.jpg 12)john.jpg 100)frankkfkdf .jpg i want to remove the characters in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plener
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first row in a list of files

Hi I want to remove the first row in a list of files and am trying to do via the following. I've tried various quotes to redirect the modifed file to a newly named version of itself but no joy. Can you help? > for i in 'ls A*'; do sed '1d' $i > $i"_complete"; done bash: $i"_complete":... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksexton
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove files from subdirectories given a list of filenames

Dear all, I have a dir structure like main_dir At_nn Ag_js Nf_hc .... mcd32 mgd43... mcd32 mgd43... mcd32 mgd43... and each subdir (e.g. mcd32, mgd43) contains files. Now, i... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogeshkumkar
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with *.i extension in a directory and all its subdirectories + 30days old then remove

I need to write a script to : list files with *.i extension in a directory and all its subdirectories + 30days old, save it in a file and then remove (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lena keung
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Command to remove existing files in the tar files in Solaris 10

Hi, I am using solaris 10 OS.Please help me out with the commands needed in below two scenarios. 1)How to delete the existing files in the tar file. suppose i have a main tarfile named application.tar and it contains a file called ingres.tar. what is the command to remove ingres.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
2 Replies

9. Linux

Remove matching files from a list

hi, i have a cache file with below file list more gtda_11.cache GTDA_Dly_Pmix_GB_6_20130624.20130624070610.psv GTDA_Dly_Pmix_CH_006_20130624.20130624140018.psv GTDA_Dly_Pmix_GB_6_20130624.20130624070620.psv GTDA_Dly_Pmix_BE_6_20130624.20130624070620.psv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuk
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last '1' in list of variables

Hi folks, I have a list of variables as follows: CDBTEST1 messdba1 sat11cru1 s12tgts1 sa12ss1 I need to remove the last '1' so I can use the remaining variables in a for loop: CDBTEST messdba sat11cru s12tgts sa12ss Something like this: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
3 Replies
FIND(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FIND(1)

NAME
find - find files meeting a given condition SYNOPSIS
find directory expression EXAMPLES
find / -name a.out -print # Print all a.out paths find /usr/ast ! -newer f -ok rm {} ; # Ask before removing find /usr -size +20 -exec mv {} /big ; # move files > 20 blks find / -name a.out -o -name '*.o' -exec rm {}; # 2 conds DESCRIPTION
Find descends the file tree starting at the given directory checking each file in that directory and its subdirectories against a predi- cate. If the predicate is true, an action is taken. The predicates may be connected by -a (Boolean and), -o (Boolean or) and ! (Boolean negation). Each predicate is true under the conditions specified below. The integer n may also be +n to mean any value greater than n, -n to mean any value less than n, or just n for exactly n. -name s true if current filename is s (include shell wild cards) -size n true if file size is n blocks -inum n true if the current file's i-node number is n -mtime ntrue if modification time relative to today (in days) is n -links ntrue if the number of links to the file is n -newer ftrue if the file is newer than f -perm n true if the file's permission bits = n (n is in octal) -user u true if the uid = u (a numerical value, not a login name) -group gtrue if the gid = g (a numerical value, not a group name) -type x where x is bcdfug (block, char, dir, regular file, setuid, setgid) -xdev do not cross devices to search mounted file systems Following the expression can be one of the following, telling what to do when a file is found: -print print the file name on standard output -exec execute a MINIX command, {} stands for the file name -ok prompts before executing the command SEE ALSO
test(1), xargs(1). FIND(1)