Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers why the PATH can not be set correctly? Post 25035 by peter.herlihy on Tuesday 23rd of July 2002 06:01:19 PM
Old 07-23-2002
Is the path change you made still around for the root user?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couldn't set locale correctly

When a user connects via ssh to one of out Sun V120 boxes the following message is displayed. "couldn't set locale correctly" The .profile has the following line # @(#)local.profile 1.6 98/02/06 SMI stty istrip stty erase ^H So I put a set -x in the .profile and re sourced it and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mattd
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh2: .profile not set correctly

When logging into solaris box through ssh, my profile does not get set correctly and I'm presented with the default ksh prompt "$". When logging in through telnet, everything is set correctly. Is there a special profile that sshd runs? ssh2: F-Secure SSH 2.4.0 (build 15) on sparc-sun-solaris2.8 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I set the public keys up correctly for a migration from an HP-UNIX server to I

I am getting the error message "Permission denied (publickey). lost connection" when I attempt to do an scp migration. I know how to generate the public keys in both IIS and UNIX, and I believe they are both suppose to have the same public key - but where are they each suppose to be stored (I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whs2k
1 Replies

4. Solaris

hi All, I'm using sun OS 5.10. All locales are set to en_US.ISO8859-1 in /etc/profile/init file. I'm using one functional user.When I tried to "sesu - functionalUser",its giving me error like "Couldn't set locale correctly".In functional user profile i'm tring to set locales to en_US.After... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kathraji
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Hello, I have a recently configured machine that when log into it as a user or remotely as root it displays "Couldn't set locale correctly" When I type locale it displays the below which is wrong compared to other machines LC_CTYPE="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_COLLATE="C"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
7 Replies

6. Solaris

couldn't set locale correctly

Dear All, I Have problem at my console (Ultra 24, solaris 10 x86), when i type dmesg always come out : like this You have new mail. root@console # bash root@console # dmesg couldn't set locale correctly couldn't set locale correctly So how to fix it...? Best Regards simbah (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
3 Replies

7. Solaris

LC_ALL & LANG are set OK, but others couldn't set locale correctly.

Hi, I have a Solaris (SunOS 5.10) installed, by default with the en_AU.UTF-8 locale. I want to change it to en_US.UTF-8 With AU, I have no issues whatsoever, so I installed the language package and now locale -a shows "en_US.UTF-8". Problem is even with LC_ALL set in etc/default/init, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't add directory to path correctly

Hello everyone I am a newcomer to UNIX and I have hit a snag in something that would probably take experienced people about 30 seconds. Long story short I am trying to add a directory to my PATH and it is getting added but not working. I mean, the object of adding it to the path is so I can access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybrownies
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path set

Something changed on my unix box. Now when I log in it is showing entire path. It used to show only $ prompt before. I know I need to do something in .profile to show only $ prompt Could you please tell me what I should do, to show only $ prompt. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raopatwari
4 Replies

10. SCO

Set NIC correctly , but the network does not work

I'm trying to virtualize an instance of SCO Open Server 5.0.2c in VirtualBox (called VM- A) , I can not configure the network (NIC). The NIC I'm using is PCnet -FAST III (Am79C973 ) (this NIC works with VirtualBox + SCO 5.0.5M) When I add from ' Add new LAN adapter' I detects the NIC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
2 Replies
GETOPTS(3)						  libbash getopts Library Manual						GETOPTS(3)

NAME
getopts -- libbash library for command line parameters parsing SYNOPSIS
$retval getopt_long <Instructions> <Parameters> DESCRIPTION
This is a documentation for libbash getopts library, that implements getopt_long function for bash(1). For documentation of bash getopts function, please see getopts(1) ( getopts(1posix) on some systems). Here is a table for reference: getopts(1) (or 1posix on some systems) implemented by bash getopts(3) implemented by libbash. getopt(1) implemented by getopt utils (part of util-linux) getopt_long(1) implemented by libbash and installed to section 1 instead of 3 to prevent collision with C man pages. getopt(3) implemented by GNU C library. getopt_long(3) implemented by GNU C library. I have also seen separate getopt utility which part of util-linux package. The getopt_long function parses the command line arguments. It uses Instructions as the rules for parsing the Parameters. The Instructions A string that specifies rules for parameters parsing. The instructions string is built of a group of independent instructions, separated by a white space. Each instruction must have the following structure: -<SingleLetter>|--<MultiLetter>-><VariableName>[:] This structure contains three parts: -<SingleLetter> This is the parameter single-letter sign. For example -h. --<MultiLetter> This is the parameter's corresponding multi-letter sign. For example --help. <VariableName>[:] This is the name of the variable that will contain the parameter value. For example: HELP. The Variable name can represent one of two variables types: Flag variable (not followed by ':') In this case, it will hold the value 1 if 'on' (i.e. was specified on command line) and will not be defined if 'off'. Value variable (followed by ':') In this case, the value it will hold is the string that was given as the next parameter in the Parameters string (Separated by white-space or '=' ). If input contains more then one instance of the considered command line option, an array of the given parameters will be set as the value of the variable. The Parameters The Parameters are simply the parameters you wish to parse. RETURN VALUE
This function returns a string that contains a set of variables definitions. In order to define the variables, this string should be given as a parameter to eval function. This value is returned in the variable $retval. EXAMPLES
Parse command line parameters looking for the flags -h | --help and -v | --version and for the value -p | --path : getopt_long '-h|--help->HELP -v|--version->VERSION -p|--path->PATH:' $* eval $retval In this example, for the parameters --help --path=/usr/ the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=/usr/ for the parameters --help --path=/usr --path=/bin the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=(/usr /bin) BUGS
Values must not contain the string `__getopts__'. This string will be parsed as a single white-space. A value should not start with an already defined multi-letter sign. If such a value exists, it will be treated as the equivalent singe-letter sign. This bug only accures when using a single-letter sign, or a multi-letter sign that are not followed by a `='. For example: If we have a script named `foo', and we parse the parameters `-d|--dir:' and `-f|--file:', then foo -d --file and foo --dir --file will not work foo --dir=--file will work. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), getopt_long(1), getopts(1), getopt(1), libbash(1), getopt(3), getopt_long(3) Linux Epoch Linux